In need of a "manly" friendly fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizG

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been playing around with aqadvice, to see which fish I want in my 55g, which ones are compatible, and what my equipment can handle. I can't just choose whatever fish, because I already have 3 that I'm moving there from a smaller tank.

Also, my husband wants a "manly" fish of his own, that would not mind being the only one of its kind in the tank, and would not threaten the other tank mates. I thought of a BN pleco, but he did not like it. I then thought of a Perl Gourami pair, but I read that if they breed they can become a threat to the Tetras.

I also read that the fish I have like to be in groups, so we need to add some more of them.

What I have: 1 Oto, 1 Platy, 1 Lemon Tetra

My latest list (including the ones I have):
- 6 Lemon Tetras
- 3 Platies
- 2 Otos
- 3 Guppies
- 2 Nerite snails
- 2 Amano Shrimps
- 2 Siamese Algae Eaters
- 6 Rummynose Tetras
- 1 Hillstream Loach (for husband)

Ideas? Suggestions?

IMG_1818.jpg

What kind of fish seems 'manly' to him? Also, hillstream loaches like a lot of waterflow and have special diet needs I'd research before getting one.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, I'm researching all the fish, and will unlikely buy them all at the same time.

So, based on what he said, a guppy is not a manly fish, whereas a shark would be. I'm with you on this one. Who knows what a manly fish looks like.... But if you know of an interesting, friendly, larger fish, that would not mind be the only one if it's kind (or a pair at the most), I'm open to suggestions! :)

Back to the Pearl Gourami (which husband thought classified as manly), do they only breed when it's warm? Or do they breed at whatever conditions?

Pearls need to build a bubble nest in still water...
If you have adequate flow in your 55 they will not be able to spawn even if they wanted...
Pearls are the champagne of gourami. A great choice IMO for your tank as they are one of the least aggressive gouramis...

Perfect. Will they be ok with just the pair?

You can do just a male Pearl Gourami not a pair and they are mostly chill and very friendly, mine was one of my favorite fish, this is a pic when was an adult but still young (he's passed on now)

60074-albums9317-picture39623.jpg

Here was a pair...

5/2012
60074-albums9317-picture65753.jpg

Oh and my advice to pick one out is don't go for the MOST active leading male fish go for the second to the most one in charge that looks great and active. I had an issue with mine when I got 4 (2m 2 f). #1 was a bit mean to his Gourami tankmates, #2 was my sweetie. Just anecdotal advice, lol.

Check out keyhole cichlids. They are very mellow but might be considered 'manly'. Mine is with guppies and a pleco, the most he does is eat tiny guppy fry, bigger fry and the guppies he leaves alone, he's very personable with me and doesn't mind being the only one.

Attachments

• 1476074462032.jpg
    1476074462032.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 71
All great information. The planning phase is very exciting too, who knew!

I would have thanked/liked your comments, but my app is not allowing it in this forum. But please, consider your comments liked and thanked. ;)

I'm still waiting for some decorations I bought (some stones I found) to arrive before I can start to set up the 55g. But my plan for this week, is to set up the 20g long QT, and get cycling going. I want to be ready for when it's time to get the new family members.

Stevenht - Got it. Thanks.

I'm leaning towards the Pearl Gourami. They are manly enough for him, colorful enough for me. :)

On a side note, I ended up getting a 10g QT with an QuaClear 30. Hope it will be big enough to quarantine the Gourami.

Back
Top Bottom