in need of some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My 2 cents. There might be something in the gravel or the gravel itself. In April I setup a new tank with EcoComplete and was planning to do a fishless cycle. Well, ammonia was +8.0 ppm (I did not add any ammonia). 90% WC, tested ammonia (0.25-0.5), 8 hours later it was > 8.0. Was doing daily 90% WCs and getting the same result over a week. Ended up tossing the gravel, cleaning the tank and starting over. Did not reoccur.
Not saying that you should do the same, just something to consider.

Wow, I have used everything from Eco to pfs to flourite to pretty much everything that CaribSea makes, lol. I have never had an ammonia problem that stemmed from substrate. I'm not saying you are wrong about your experience, I'm just explaining my reluctance to blame the substrate. I am interested to hear an ammo reading after 5 timed minutes, but I am not ruling anything out. :)

I'm agreeing with Severum mama, I don't believe you need to rip apart your tank but you do need to get the fish out IF your next CORRECT test comes back the same. Now about the dead fish, I'm sorry for your loss, I have no clue on. Let's just see how your next test comes out. So update us as soon as possible soon please.

Wow, I have used everything from Eco to pfs to flourite to pretty much everything that CaribSea makes, lol. I have never had an ammonia problem that stemmed from substrate. I'm not saying you are wrong about your experience, I'm just explaining my reluctance to blame the substrate. I am interested to hear an ammo reading after 5 timed minutes, but I am not ruling anything out. :)

Okay, my I cent :)
An isolated event where the root cause was not confirmed and as I read back through my thread (Unknown Ammonia Source) it appears that something (fungal, bacterial) established itself in the tank, filter, and gravel.
I agree, a reading at 5 minutes sharp should be helpful.

Dman I hope the 5 min test had better results. If it is still high then please remove everything from the tank including the watter and fill it back up. After a couple hours of declorination put the fish back in.

Everyone is against uneeded work however we need to make sure your filter can handle the bioload of only the fish before we add more to this equation

*UPDATE*
This morning at 6:30am Oct.,12 2013 the rest of my guppies have gone to guppie heaven. :(
I now have 4 neon tetras left they look like they are doing good they seem to be hanging in there. Last night I did a 90% WC. Have not tested water as of yet I will when I get home from work and will post a video of the testing or a picture of the test at 5 min.

Ok Im thinking of taking out the gravel and replacing it with sand the other tank i have has sand and gravel and that tank seem stable and it has a ryukin and a albino cory in it. So my question if I take out the tetras and place them in a bucket how long can i leave them in that bucket with a heater.

Yea dman a dead fish will produce a ton of ammonia if left in the tank. Is someone at home to remove them?

Yea dman a dead fish will produce a ton of ammonia if left in the tank. Is someone at home to remove them?

Oh wait you meant the dead fish i already removed the dead fish cant leave dead fish in a tank i know that at least

If you have an air pump and air stone in there as well its like a tank and could last 24 hours or so until ammonia builds up

If you have an air pump and air stone in there as well its like a tank and could last 24 hours or so until ammonia builds up

I have a pump and two air stones in there but im not understanding you comment

The basics for short term life for fish are heat air and water quality. An air stone helps with the air part by creating more surface area for air to enter the water.

The basics for short term life for fish are heat air and water quality. An air stone helps with the air part by creating more surface area for air to enter the water.

I understand that i have two air stones two HOB filters that create a water fall and a heater at 75 degrees

Sorry if im being confusing. Let me circle back, how long do you want to keep the fish in the bucket? Few hours a day?

I am overstocked in my tank and my ammonia is at zero... I have put a ammonia media in my filter.... it seems to be working ..... I use a sponge, charcoal, ammonia media, and on top bio media ... and this has kept my water levels perfect ... and I am way overstocked...

I am overstocked in my tank and my ammonia is at zero... I have put a ammonia media in my filter.... it seems to be working ..... I use a sponge, charcoal, ammonia media, and on top bio media ... and this has kept my water levels perfect ... and I am way overstocked...

What is a ammonia media

What is a ammonia media

There are filter medias out there designed to remove or add stuff to the tanks while providing a place for BB to grow.

I use phosphate and carbon media in my brackish tank. The phosphate reduces phosphates in the tank and helps keep algea levels down and the carbon helps pull hard metals from the water making the tank very clean.

An ammonia media would help reduce ammonia but I dont think this would solve your issue.

There are filter medias out there designed to remove or add stuff to the tanks while providing a place for BB to grow.

I use phosphate and carbon media in my brackish tank. The phosphate reduces phosphates in the tank and helps keep algea levels down and the carbon helps pull hard metals from the water making the tank very clean.

An ammonia media would help reduce ammonia but I dont think this would solve your issue.

So its called ammonia mediA

Back
Top Bottom