Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jmunroe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad M View Post
I dont understand? What does a top end product like biomax have to do with Dman's setup and ammonia problems? Sure like I said a hob filter is better suited but a ugf's can handle filtration just fine and it all depends on how the tank was established. If I have an established ugf then add all the biomax on earth the tank will still recycle if I vigorously vaccum all my gravel.
He has 2 hob not under gravel filter. If you vac the crap out of the gravel and get the debris out then you don't have to ( and shouldn't) rely on the bb in the gravel. The bio media whatever it may in the hob will take care of the bio filtration. Unless your filter is too small. Removing all the extra debris will allow the hob to catch up easily as there will be less crap in the gravel to create ammonia and you may even find that by cleaning the gravel good that the hob bio filtration may be enough to handle the load anyway because of the extra debris you are removing. The cleaner you keep the gravel the easier time your bio filter will have by not having to breakdown waste that shouldn't be there any way. Instead of leaving waste in your gravel for the sake of saving a little bb. It's not rocket science just good knowledge of the nitrogen cycle and how bb works.
__________________

__________________
Jmunroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmunroe View Post

He has 2 hob not under gravel filter. If you vac the crap out of the gravel and get the debris out then you don't have to ( and shouldn't) rely on the bb in the gravel. The bio media whatever it may in the hob will take care of the bio filtration. Unless your filter is too small. Removing all the extra debris will allow the hob to catch up easily as there will be less crap in the gravel to create ammonia and you may even find that by cleaning the gravel good that the hob bio filtration may be enough to handle the load anyway because of the extra debris you are removing. The cleaner you keep the gravel the easier time your bio filter will have by not having to breakdown waste that shouldn't be there any way. Instead of leaving waste in your gravel for the sake of saving a little bb. It's not rocket science just good knowledge of the nitrogen cycle and how bb works.
I still dont understand the advice your trying to give? He has no gravel?
__________________

__________________
Brad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jmunroe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad M View Post
I still dont understand the advice your trying to give? He has no gravel?
? I know that. You wanted to understand it in conversation before he removed his gravel (unnecessarily). I'm done with trying to explain it. It's taking far too much time. I'm sorry you don't understand.
__________________
Jmunroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmunroe View Post
? I know that. You wanted to understand it in conversation before he removed his gravel (unnecessarily). I'm done with trying to explain it. It's taking far too much time. I'm sorry you don't understand.
Lol ok then nice talking with you I guess.

So Dman how is the tank looking.
__________________

__________________
Brad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.