Incadescent Hoods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently got another 10gal tank for my 9molly fry..and I didnt' realize till I had the tank filled up and was sitting the hood on that it took incadescent bulbs as opposed to florescent.

I have live plants in the tank, a fiew pieces of Java Fern.. and I was wondering if it would be okay with the Incadescent?

or is there some kind of UV bulb I can place in an incadescent screwin socket?

I really don't want to spend 20bucks on a new hood just for florescence of I don't have fto..

Hrmmm. Understand my lighting knowledge is a bit limited BUT:

I think the incandescent will not give enough light for any plants and its gonna heat the tank up too most likely...watch the temps.

As for a screw in flourescent, I dunno. Haven't heard of one but that doesn't mean the don't exist.

Not just florescent, but a UV Florescent.

You know, plant bulb?

The rest of the tank is very nice, tho...Cleanest glass I've ever seen.. looks like theres nothing there when I look through it, just looks like the fish are floating midair 8O

The java fern will probably do fine with the incandescent lighting but I'm not sure about the other live plants you've got.

use the florecent with incandecent bulb sockets. I did the same as you and used those bulbs that i bought at walmrt.. its a tight squeeze but my plants were beautiful... also replace those holes in the top where the lights are with either a metal cut out or just cut out the ventilaion all together.. just that these flo lights are bright...

Yah, those are those little coily flourescents :D Look around and you may find some on sale.. I got a batch of them for my office which has can lighting, for about $3 each. :)

Good call electrobes

I had one of those hoods that used the 2 incandesent lights, bought 2 of those flourescents and they would last a day or two before they would blow, says right on the package "no direct contact with water" or something to that effect. After replacing the lights twice in 4 days, I got me the flourescent hood that wal mart sells, (actually just bought the deluxe kit, it's cheaper). Got the hood ($29), heater ($20), filter ($25), and tank ($9). That's a total of aprox. $83. The kit was only $50. Figured I'd use some of the stuff.

a 10gal filter is only like..12 bucks at PetSmart..

a 10gal heater is only like...13 bucks at PetSmart..

use the florecent with incandecent bulb sockets. I did the same as you and used those bulbs that i bought at walmrt.. its a tight squeeze but my plants were beautiful... also replace those holes in the top where the lights are with either a metal cut out or just cut out the ventilaion all together.. just that these flo lights are bright...

I don't understand what you mean..?

I use those screw in flourescent bublbs in my tank that I bought at WalMart. 10 gallon tank and the plants grow like crazy for me with minor fert dosing, gravel for substrate and 10 hours of light a day. These bulbs are only 3500K I think but do fine for everything except plants that like really high light. I have had them in for 8 months or so now without any problem.

yeah i did the same thing.. the bulbs did warp my plastic vents on the hood, but didn;t actually destroy them. What i would do is cut those out and replaced them with metal cut out with holes.

Oh yeah and the lights I bought at walmart supported high light plants just fine, but remember to control the algae in there!

I got a replacement hood for my 10 gal. that has screw ins for incandescent bulbs. Then I found some compact flourescent bulbs at WalMart for about $4.00 apiece in the fish section. They work great, & my plants really perked up.

I bought two Mini-compact PC aquarium bulbs for like $20 at the lfs for my incandescent hood, heach claims to put out 6,500K of energy. My cabomba is overgroing the joint.

Back
Top Bottom