Inches of fish should equal tank size??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's okay doogle, I didn't feel ganged up on. Hopefully no one is upset..it's all good. After all that's why we come on the forums, to get others opinions. I certainly didn't intend to upset anyone with mine. I do think everyone benefits if we all try to talk to eachother respectfully despite differences in opinions.

Well... Ummm, to get this thread back on track, your stocking as of now is fine, all I would suggest is maybe three more cories since they like to be in groups. I am not a fan of the inch per fish rule, because I like to do research, and I agree that there are to many exceptions.

Homedog98 said:
Well... Ummm, to get this thread back on track, your stocking as of now is fine, all I would suggest is maybe three more cories since they like to be in groups. I am not a fan of the inch per fish rule, because I like to do research, and I agree that there are to many exceptions.

+1 agree 210% here

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

Well, it's kind of a matter of personal opinion. I think it'd work, hey, it even fits the 1 inch rule lol, for the bottom of the tank anyway. I don't think there'd be much of an issue, since none of the OP's current stock need all that much space, and don't have all that much of a bioload. but once again, it's all a matter of personal opinion, and I don't want to offend anybody.

No LOL don't be silly. My only experience with cories is in my 29gal and they are just so active. They zip all over the tank all day. It's hard to imagine them being able to really have fun in a 10 but maybe I'm wrong. I wonder if different types of cories like to hang out together? If so you could add some julii in with your peppered..they stay about an inch smaller and then they'd have a little more room to groove.

except mine gets deleted...it got to the point, and people agree.my opinion dont matter, or is valid enough for you, i never attacked anyone, is what i was told and i got many of my posts deleted for...

33953-albums1418-picture10122.jpg
well i thought i gave as much respect as i got... anyway think you can stretch a couple inches when you have proper top, mid and bottom fish, as long as they are smallish.(smile)

i went to get to buy a pembroke welsh corgi today, (and got a cutie)and one of the breeders gave me a 1990 a.g.a. 20g(13''x13''x19''tall) like a 20g on its side, with 2 150gph powerheads, one aquaclear 201 never used! undergravel filter, some old whisper filter parts a air pump and matching oak stand for free(didnt even get the pup from her), so i have a very tall tank to stock, lol

Just saying, but you might want to start a new thread for that doogle, so the OP can have their thread back. Not mean, just asking.

oh cool that's an interesting tank! funny someone gave me a 20gal today too :)

i really like that and it's so slim i could actually find a place for it somewhere lol

Thanks, guys. I am leaning towards getting a ballon belly Molly and 2 or 3 snails. I found out that the other guppy 8 have that's a baby is female. I want the snails because I have Algee on the walls of my tank and I get tired of cleaning it. I'm assuming that I will still be ok with the stocking thing... By the way the snails are called mystery snails.

maxwellag said:
Thanks, guys. I am leaning towards getting a ballon belly Molly and 2 or 3 snails. I found out that the other guppy 8 have that's a baby is female. I want the snails because I have Algee on the walls of my tank and I get tired of cleaning it. I'm assuming that I will still be ok with the stocking thing... By the way the snails are called mystery snails.

Edit: will this be ok? What are some colorful and small and relatively inexpensive middle and top swimmers? Have 2 guppies in the big tank right now and they swim on top. My catfish and deaf gourami swim on bottom. So I mostly need a middle swimmer. :)

A balloon molly might work..I have a male balloon molly and I had to seperate him from my dwarf gourami due to nipping. Maybe add some extra plants so there's spots to hide. I would highly reco you go with a nerite snail, if you can find one. They don't reproduce in freshwater so they don't infest your tank, and they do an awesome job on algea.

siva said:
A balloon molly might work..I have a male balloon molly and I had to seperate him from my dwarf gourami due to nipping. Maybe add some extra plants so there's spots to hide. I would highly reco you go with a nerite snail, if you can find one. They don't reproduce in freshwater so they don't infest your tank, and they do an awesome job on algea.

My lfs has females. Will t

I wouldn't put mollies of any kind in a 10 gallon. They produce lots of waste relative to their size and really need more room to swim than what a 10 gallon affords them. The tank is fully stocked IMO.

As an aside, I wanted to let you know how balloon fish are created so you can make an informed decision on whether you want to keep any in the future. Balloon fish are created from selectively breeding short bodied (deformed) fish together to exaggerate the deformity. This is a lot different to me than selective breeding to create color variants. The balloon bodied fish typically have more trouble swimming, are more susceptible to disease, and often have a shorter lifespan than their non-short bodied counterparts. It's basically a way that breeders/wholesalers have been able to make money off fish that should have been culls. I find it unethical, but that is JMO.

I wouldn't put mollies of any kind in a 10 gallon. They produce lots of waste relative to their size and really need more room to swim than what a 10 gallon affords them. The tank is fully stocked IMO.

As an aside, I wanted to let you know how balloon fish are created so you can make an informed decision on whether you want to keep any in the future. Balloon fish are created from selectively breeding short bodied (deformed) fish together to exaggerate the deformity. This is a lot different to me than selective breeding to create color variants. The balloon bodied fish typically have more trouble swimming, are more susceptible to disease, and often have a shorter lifespan than their non-short bodied counterparts. It's basically a way that breeders/wholesalers have been able to make money off fish that should have been culls. I find it unethical, but that is JMO.

I agree, but I don't think it's something which will go away. Someone bred British Bulldogs the same way... They can hardly breathe, have skin conditions and eye conditions because of their skin on their face. But people love them.

I agree, but I don't think it's something which will go away. Someone bred British Bulldogs the same way... They can hardly breathe, have skin conditions and eye conditions because of their skin on their face. But people love them.

Aren't those also the ones that have to have C sections because the puppies' heads are too large for regular birth? I find what humans have done to a lot of purebred dogs unethical as well.

I'm not expecting balloon fish to go away, although personally, I wish they would. I just want folks to make an informed decision about what they are buying. :)

Back
Top Bottom