Increased lighting to reduce algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmg213

Aquarium Advice Regular
I dont know if this is going to sound completely stupid, but here goes....:)

I have a 37 gal. tank with two regular fluorescent 18W tubes and Ive been thinking of upgrading to one of the compact fluorescent hoods with 1x65W. Is it possible that the additional lighting would make the plants that I have in my tank grow more therefore taking some of the nutrients that the algae in my tank is using to grow?

The blue/green algae and the hair algae that I have are not what Id call overwhelming...just annoying. :)

anyway...your thoughts on my idea are greatly appreciated as long as they arent followed with too much pointing and laughing at me. :)

Thanks!

Algae lives on excess phosphates. If you increase your light and add DIY co2 you can stimulate your plants use up the nutrients that the algae is feeding on. Phosphate build up is often caused from overfeeding.

I would have to agree with Travis. More light = more algae. (Although I did have to look up the word "exacerbate").

You are correct that plants can reduce algae. They do this by keeping nutrients in balance (but only with your help). To keep your tank free of algae requires keeping a number of things in balance: CO2, light, nitrates, phosphates, and other more minor things. If you increase the light you also need to increase the others things to maintain the balance.

I would not suggest increasing light just to decrease algae. I love the look of live plants and would suggest increasing light to help your plants grow. But then you will have to pay attention to a lot of other things as well.

Buying additional test kits might be a good idea. Namely Phosphates like Bassnman said. Testing your water more more thoroughly will likely tell you what needs to be fixed.

Sorry to babble on but I think the last thing that I want to say is that is seems easier to keep everything in balance if you have less light, so see what you can do do help your plants while still using your current lights. This might mean adding additional low light plants.

Thanks for the info everyone...Ill have to take this all into account as I read/learn/experiment more.

Extra light isn't going to affect blue/green algae though. If you truly have it (cyanobacteria)..it's not an algae...its bacteria.

Good information from the others' replies - more light means a need for more nutrients, which includes CO2. Phosphates are the most likely source of algae, although nitrates can bring them on too.

If you do have true cyanobacteria (it smells funky, very pungent, almost sickeningly sweet 'freshly mowed lawn' kind of smell), then you'll need to combat it first. Search the site, as there are several things you can try. HOwever it may come down to having to treat the tank with an antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom