Indian Almond Leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldeenTrix9898

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a new betta, Obsidian, with a fin nipping problem. I managed to sort of stop it by turning on his bubbler back on after I turned it off a few days ago to reduce current. But his fins are a little tattered so I'm looking to reduce stress further and also prevent fin rot. I have decided on putting Indian almond leaves in the tank. It's a heated, filtered, planted 5 gallon tank and I'm currently dosing aquarium salt.

Here's my question though, how many should I put? My tank has some RCS as well as some snails, and I heard the leaves lower ph, so I don't want to go overboard. My ph is around 7.8 at the moment. I would like to be able to achieve a deep tea color, and not just yellow, but would that lower ph so much that my snails can't cope? Would cuttlebone or a calcium supplement work?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Firstly, whats nipping the bettas fins? Or is the betta nipping other fishes fins?

Firstly, whats nipping the bettas fins? Or is the betta nipping other fishes fins?

The betta is nipping his own fins. At first I thought it was the current, but after I turned off the bubbler he bit even more so I turned it back on, that seems to have helped a bit. Apparently he likes the current.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428849101.503935.jpg

Here's a pic, at first I freaked out thinking it was fin rot, but some betta experts answered a barrage of my questions and it was diagnosed as fin nipping. I also saw him do it once.

I would honestly not worry about the almond leaves or salt. The main preventative cause for fin rot is proper water parameters. Just keep the water clean and the betta will be fine.

As for the fin nipping.. theres not a lot you can do to prevent it sadly.

Thats a tough call on how many to use. I would start with a few and go from there.

Keep in mind that their effect comes from the release of tannins into the water. The same stuff in driftwood that turns your water tea colored. The more you use, the browner your water will become.

As for it being good for bettas, *shrug* theres a lot of rumor flying around about them but little to no scientific fact to base those off of.

Thats a tough call on how many to use. I would start with a few and go from there.

Keep in mind that their effect comes from the release of tannins into the water. The same stuff in driftwood that turns your water tea colored. The more you use, the browner your water will become.

As for it being good for bettas, *shrug* theres a lot of rumor flying around about them but little to no scientific fact to base those off of.

Many breeders swear by it, and other betta keepers say that it improves the health of their scales.

I should remove the carbon filter correct? So that it doesn't take away the tannins? How far do you think the ph will drop though, I don't want to shock my fish.

Many breeders swear by it, and other betta keepers say that it improves the health of their scales.

I should remove the carbon filter correct? So that it doesn't take away the tannins? How far do you think the ph will drop though, I don't want to shock my fish.

Many people swear by a lot of aquarium products. But again, theres little fact to back most of them up. Thats why theres a growing majority of aquarists that rely on clean water with just a dechlorinator to keep their fish healthy.

how much it will drop the ph is completely dependent on your aquarium. Theres no set equation for it. The water is buffered to an extent and that will help resist any change in ph and everyones water has a different amount of these buffering elements in the water. Youre just going to have to experiment with it.

Many people swear by a lot of aquarium products. But again, theres little fact to back most of them up. Thats why theres a growing majority of aquarists that rely on clean water with just a dechlorinator to keep their fish healthy.

how much it will drop the ph is completely dependent on your aquarium. Theres no set equation for it. The water is buffered to an extent and that will help resist any change in ph and everyones water has a different amount of these buffering elements in the water. Youre just going to have to experiment with it.

Hmmmmm, I think I'll start with just one leaf then. I've heard a lot of good and no bad so far, so I'm going to give it a go. Of course, I will still be doing frequent water changes and I will do my best to keep the tank clean, I won't rely on the leaves. Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated. :D

if your betta doesn't benefit from the leaves then your shrimp will, the biofilm is a natural food source for them. Just start with one, I'm about to do a similar thing with my 5 gal for my shrimpies there. Hoping to eventually achieve the tea coloured look.

if your betta doesn't benefit from the leaves then your shrimp will, the biofilm is a natural food source for them. Just start with one, I'm about to do a similar thing with my 5 gal for my shrimpies there. Hoping to eventually achieve the tea coloured look.

My shrimp are so cute, they are constantly picking at something. They aren't even afraid of my Betta anymore. They'll be eating the algae wafer I tossed in, and my Betta will come over and steal a bite. The shrimp don't even care and keep on eating.

Sent from a rebellious phone that refuses to stay on

My shrimp are so cute, they are constantly picking at something. They aren't even afraid of my Betta anymore. They'll be eating the algae wafer I tossed in, and my Betta will come over and steal a bite. The shrimp don't even care and keep on eating.

Sent from a rebellious phone that refuses to stay on

I just added a betta to my 5g that has three rcs in it. He chases and comes face to face with them. They don't move until he has a go for them and then they swim like buggery :popcorn: its quite entertaining.

Im using some tea tree (paperbark) leaves that i collected down at the river in a similar way to you're using the almond leaves. Both have similar uses, tea trees are used in melafix.

I just added a betta to my 5g that has three rcs in it. He chases and comes face to face with them. They don't move until he has a go for them and then they swim like buggery :popcorn: its quite entertaining.

Im using some tea tree (paperbark) leaves that i collected down at the river in a similar way to you're using the almond leaves. Both have similar uses, tea trees are used in melafix.

Sometimes I wonder if it's because the RCS are so busy constantly stuffing their mouths they don't notice the betta. I mean, if I were the RCS, I would yell "Swim for COVER!!!" whenever a fish that much bigger than me comes swimming straight towards me with mouth wide open.

Or maybe they learned that my betta doesn't really want shrimp meat, he just wants a taste of whatever everybody else is eating hehe. Obsidian is such a glutton, he puts everything in his mouth, but then he just spits it back out, and gulps it again. Spit, gulp, spit, gulp, spit, gulp....if it's not tasty why are you repeatedly eating it? I feed you plenty of food!

Sometimes I wonder if it's because the RCS are so busy constantly stuffing their mouths they don't notice the betta. I mean, if I were the RCS, I would yell "Swim for COVER!!!" whenever a fish that much bigger than me comes swimming straight towards me with mouth wide open.

Or maybe they learned that my betta doesn't really want shrimp meat, he just wants a taste of whatever everybody else is eating hehe. Obsidian is such a glutton, he puts everything in his mouth, but then he just spits it back out, and gulps it again. Spit, gulp, spit, gulp, spit, gulp....if it's not tasty why are you repeatedly eating it? I feed you plenty of food!

The personalities of our bettas are quite entertaining :lol: I only got mine today though so the way he has been exploring his 5g is funny. Was observing which bettas were flaring and which ones were more docile in a bid to save some shrimp lives.

The personalities of our bettas are quite entertaining :lol: I only got mine today though so the way he has been exploring his 5g is funny. Was observing which bettas were flaring and which ones were more docile in a bid to save some shrimp lives.

My betta is one of the most laid back betta fish I have ever seen. I have not seen him flare yet. Not at anything. Not even when I held up a mirror. I was like, seriously? Out of all the betta's in the world, I get the only one that doesn't flare.....nah.....I love him anyway.

My betta is one of the most laid back betta fish I have ever seen. I have not seen him flare yet. Not at anything. Not even when I held up a mirror. I was like, seriously? Out of all the betta's in the world, I get the only one that doesn't flare.....nah.....I love him anyway.

He was going crazy looking at his reflection in the glass but i think it just entertained him

Back
Top Bottom