Infection help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vinsgirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
On Friday (fish comes in from suppliers) I went to the lfs. I saw a beautiful Betta female. She had a nip out her tail and a couple of scales missing either side of her body, but she still seemed healthy so I brought her home. I acclimatised her to her tank and then put her in. She took turns swimming and resting. As she doesn't have long fins and there no major current in her tank it worried me. So I kept a close eye.. On Sunday she had a fuzzy growth on the place where the scales are missing and on the bottom fin. I went to lfs and got some general aid. I removed her from her tank and put her in a hospital tank and medicated her with general aid. I'm changing the water daily. On Monday (today) the growth looks more although she seems more active. Is there anything else I can do for her to help her heal?

Sent from my Vodafone Smart Tab 3G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

First off, the day new fish come in is the worst day to get them. They are stressed more on that day than any other day. Next, as a new fish, you should have kept her in a qt or hospital tank so that you could medicate if necessary. Certain medications will do a lot of damage to the bacteria bed so whenever possible, you don't want to medicate your main display tank. Lesson learned for the future. (y)

One of the better antibacterial/ antifungal meds is Nitrofurazone green. You can get it as part of Furan 2 or Jungle Labs/ Tetra fungus guard. This will discolor the water and there is a water changing regemin you must follow in order for the medication to work properly. That would be my first choice in meds for this situation.

Just as an FYI, the best time to get fish from your LFS is the day BEFORE they get new fish in. No, you may not get the best selection on that day but the fish will have been in their tanks for at least a week most likely and any fish damaged in shipping should be healed or not offered for sale by then. ;)

Hope this helps. (y)

Tnx @Andy Sager thing is I was there for plants when she stepped my heart. I unfortunately did not put her in a qt, but did remove her into one for medication as I did t want to medicate my main tank.
Unfortunately she did pass away earlier, and Im heart broken. I will not make that mistake again, she just stepped my heart that day.

Tnx @Andy Sager thing is I was there for plants when she stepped my heart. I unfortunately did not put her in a qt, but did remove her into one for medication as I did t want to medicate my main tank.
Unfortunately she did pass away earlier, and Im heart broken. I will not make that mistake again, she just stepped my heart that day.

Sorry to hear but it's not the first time this has been said about impulse buys.
:( If you are going to do this type of buying, you need to have a medicine chest at the ready and filled with different meds to work on the different things that a fish could be carrying and quarantining is #1 priority. Me, I like to wait and let the store suffer the losses :whistle:;) They sometimes have recourse with their suppliers while the retail customer doesn't.

One last thing about buying fish the day before new fish come in: Sometimes, you can even get a break on the price of the fish if the store needs the tank for new arrivals. You both win in that scenario. (y)

Back
Top Bottom