Info on these fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if anyone could get me any info on some giant danios and pearl gouramis. What other colorful fish can I add to a 55 gallon tank with these fish? Is it possible to add some neon or some cardinal tetras and some angelfish to it, or could I add some clown loaches or german rams to it? Thank you for all you advice in advance.

Neons and cardinals should be fine. Clown loaches will outgrow a 55g, so they are probably a bad idea. I wouldn't get angels either, but I've never kept them or German Rams so I don't want to say for sure.

You're going to have an either/or decision in regard to the neon/angel combo (all other's are fine). Neons are the natural prey of angels. Rather than loaches, perhaps cories? And no tank of that size is complete without a pleco. A nice bristlenose would round out the tank.

You might be able to do rams, since they usually stick to the bottom area and the gouramis and danios to the top. I agree about the angels - they might not be the best choice with the gouramis.

I would get some smaller schooling fish, whatever tetra or rasbora suits you. Cardinals would be wonderful, especially if you got about 12 of them.

I am really trying to find fish that would look good with pearl gouramis and giant danios, I do not think I have ever seen an amazingly setup tank with giant danios or pearl gouramis that look really good yet. I am considering the German Ram, if I can get a healthy one and I whould have thought that a koi angel would look amazing with the other fish. Now, I have to reconsider.

And no tank of that size is complete without a pleco.

I had a pleco in my 55 before it cracked. I ended up giving it away because it was so destructive to the plants with it's thrashing. I'd get a handfull of O Cats instead.

So, would the tank look better with my current neon dwarf gourami, powder blue dwarf gourami, two giant danios and two pearl gourami, as well as some neon and cardinal tetras, a german ram and some boeseman's rainbowfish? Does anyone know anything about Boeseman's rainbowfish, cause I don't know much about them other than a couple pictures lying aroudn on this site about them?

A Ram/singular isn't too good. A couple are better. I haven't had the pleasure of boesmani's.

Although wabyrd had some issues with his pleco, I have not with mine...very peaceful, almost too friendly with his tankmates...which brings me to this pics of mine (not that I want you to do something you dont want to :D (Big pic)
cliff75.jpg

Sharing with an albino bristlenose:
zuchini1.jpg

Oh, he's a sailfin gibbiceps...not a bristlenose like the one I suggested.

Although wabyrd had some issues with his pleco, I have not with mine
I guess I should have clarified that I only had problems when he got to be about 13 inches long! I had him for about 4 years and hated to give him up, but he was too big for the tank. :(

The rainbowfish school, so I would get at least five. If you buy them young they don't look like much.....but take them home and feed them well and they will sport beautiful colors that get more intense as they age. I love mine.

The rainbowfish school, so I would get at least five. If you buy them young they don't look like much.....but take them home and feed them well and they will sport beautiful colors that get more intense as they age. I love mine.
Ditto. I have a small school of Threadfin Rainbows and I love them. The only thing I don't like is that they are next to impossible to photograph! I took over 200 photos the other day trying to get a good picture of them but all of them were blurred. Got some great photos of the other fish, but the rainbows are too elusive.

Bristlenose plecos (aka Ancistrus) don't get very big, they aren't aggressive and they are some of the best algae eaters around. Besides that, they are so ugly that only their mothers (and their owners) could love them.

Boeseman's Rainbowfish get more colorful as they get older and the males front half is colored quite differently than the rear half. These fish are definitely worth keeping if you have the patience to let them grow into their full color.

I like bristlenoses because they do not damage plants and they do not get very large, and they are excellent algae eaters, as mentioned. I have 3 in my 55.

I also have boesemanis in my 55 and they are stunning fish - very colorful, robust and extremely active. They zoom around a lot so a long tank is best for them. Be very careful when choosing the rainbows, as they are prone to mouth fungus, and be sure the ones you get have evenly arranged scales, as some inferior quality ones have irregular scales. Get 5 or so of them.

I am wondering about mixing the types of gouramis - does anyone have experience mixing dwarfs with pearls? The dwarfs I have owned have been remarkably aggressive but that might not be typical.

The Giant Danios are extreme active fish, they also like bumping eachother and other fish. This makes some fish nervous.

If you want a loach, consider a YoYo loach is more sized for that aquarium.

Zezmo said:
The Giant Danios are extreme active fish, they also like bumping eachother and other fish. This makes some fish nervous.
I've noticed that with mine and now don't want them anymore. 8O
Also, they like to be kept in schools so you should get at least 4 more.

Back
Top Bottom