Information on Electric Blue Rams...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jferrante

Aquarium Advice Activist
I brought my father to a well kept aquarium store and he became really interested in the Electric blue rams they had (with orange faces.)
So i want to figure out everything I can and make sure they have a great chance of survival before we get them.

On a side note the fish at this store are probably in the best condition of all the fish stores in my area. Currently the fish I own are not from this store. So this may effect what I am about to explain.

My tank is a 55 gallon and about a month old now it appears to be cycled. I told him I have to wait before I can add more fish to be sure everything is in check.

3 of 5 of the new cories died this week (that I got last week. One died 2 days after being introduced, one the next day and one 3 days later.) I'm not sure why but all of them died of seemingly different reasons and they were young and all looked more similar to one another and behaved different than the 2 that are still alive and are happy and constantly active. Since i got them I set up a quarantine tank and bought all the supplies needed and have media in the canister for it when I get new fish. I also set up an drip acclimation tube to provide the best introduction I can. None of these fish though so far have been through this process. 1 rummy nose also died mysteriously and I found him pinned under some gravel with a thick mucous substance on him and what appeared to be white fungus this is the most strange occurrence I've encountered but I quickly disposed of him and did a 50% water change.
Because of these incidents I know I need to wait at least 2 weeks to a month to make sure everything is fine.

My ammonia and Nitrites are at a steady 0ppm (with ammonia giving a false reading between 0 and 0.25. It's an API Master Kit and after researching it, it turns out they can give this reading despite being 0ppm and is no sign of alarm unless it rises.) Nitrates stay around 5ppm, they drop slightly and slowly rise but never seem to surpass 5ppm probably because of the plants which are starting to grow in. I'll do two to three tests a day to see how it fluctuates for this week.

Anyways aside from all that what do you think of them? are they fragile? can they be housed with a bolivian rams or peaceful Gourami varieties? should there be 3 or 4 of them?

I can show a picture of my tank if you want tomorrow when it's light out to show you where they can hide and if it'd be efficient enough.

I love rams!

Keep them in pairs or you risk bullying. I've kept them with gouramis but I think that combination can be problematic, depending on individual temperaments.

I've found them to be generally fairly tough fish though individuals can vary a bit.

They like plants and will spawn in flat surfaces. They're generally easy to breed and will do so every 3 to 4 weeks. During that time, the male (and female to a lesser extent) will get more aggressive and drive off other fish to protect the fry.

I had a ram drive a gourami 4 times larger than it into submission once. Had to rehome the gourami.

I'd get them both when at similar size to avoid any early complications but I don't have another tank set up at the moment aside from a 5.5 gallon quarantine meant for the young new additions. Eventually though I can set up another 20+ gallon tank right next to the 55g but it won't be for a few months at least.

Rams are not beginner fish, well they can be but they'll probably die. With rams I've found a few things very true and very important.
-mature, well planted tank.
-absolutely pristine water
-excellent diet
-breeding practices/stock is of the utmost importance
-color morphs are generally much harder to rear.
All that..... tell your dad not yet;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

what do you mean by breeding practices/stock?
you mean not having 3 males and 1 female so they don't fight to the death right?

What if you have between 2-4 males? Will they eventually become saddened that they won't find a mate?

I've heard they are easy so long as the tank is steady and you use like purigen + good media along with doing multiple smaller size water changes so that it doesn't change as rapidly. and matching the food they ate before or to "starve" them a little to get them to like the food you give them.. depending on if they're picky eaters. I don't get crappy food. I use Nutridiet flakes which have like garlic, peas, high protein and low ash. but I will try live food at some point too.
I have a variety of plants that are starting to come in now but I'm still trying to treat hair algae on the sword.. I might just pull it out and do a rigorous spot treatment in a 5 gallon bucket with hydrogen peroxide/water spray. The rummies didn't seem to like it that much the first time I tried it but it was gone in a few seconds. I'd just rather not expose them to peroxide even if it is generally safe with the right dilution.

I mean poorly bred lines and juiced up for color leaves them extra fragile. Local bred or purchased from renounced breeders is the way to go. Bred in local water makes a huge difference imo..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom