"inherited" tank and fish. HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guy. For those that are following, everything is still going good. The black skirt has really upped it's activity level so must be feeling pretty good.

I've just been thinking and researching and have been wondering if maybe I had the tetra wrong. Maybe it's a black phantom?

It really looks just like one but it doesn't have that big black spot near the front. I've looked really close and there may be a darker spot, like a light grey, there but it's not as pronounced that's for sure. It's got the nice silver body though with the bright red on the lower fins and tail. Just the fin shapes to me really have me questioning myself.

Here's a more recent pic. Thoughts?

img_2126610_0_45862b0faf88eb04226f2b8256641504.jpg

If it is a black phantom anyone know anything about them? Are they known fin nippers? I really like this guy and if I could work a school of them into the 50 gallon with angels I may keep it.

Not a black phantom I don't think. Looks like hyphessobrycon bentosi - ornate tetra; or something similar ;)

The fish you listed (except the pleco) are all schooling fish so they'd do better in groups.

Clean water should help them heal. You can add something like Stress coat between water changes to help promote healing.

Props to you for rescuing them! :D

Not a black phantom I don't think. Looks like hyphessobrycon bentosi - ornate tetra; or something similar ;)

The fish you listed (except the pleco) are all schooling fish so they'd do better in groups.

Clean water should help them heal. You can add something like Stress coat between water changes to help promote healing.

Props to you for rescuing them! :D

I've never heard of the ornate tetra so just googled it and yes I think you are correct. When I was googling the black phantom many of the same pictures were popping up which is what confused me.

I do know they are all schooling fish but I'm not planning to keep them. I just wanted to get them healthy so I can rehome them. I may have someone to take the pleco on trade for a breeder box, which is pretty sweet as I was ready to give him away to anyone suitable and was planning to buy a breeder box anyhow. lol. The others may end up at the local pet store but I'm hoping I can find someone else to take them.

Though this tetra really has my interest, I very much like it and am wondering if I could keep it and work it into my angel tank and build up the school. Guess I have some more reading to do.

So I've been doing some ready this morning on the Ornate tetra and I'm pretty sure now this is what I have. It certainly fits much better than the other 2. It sounds like I can certainly work him into my final set up as well. My only concern is that I may not be able to find other Bentosi.

I've got 1 other store I can check to see if they have them or can get them but I'm thinking worse case here as the local stores are horrible for consistently having stock. It could have something once and it be a year before they get them back. If I am unable to get a hold of more, or enough to fill a good school can I in theory use other Hyphessobrycon to full up the school. I was thinking about the Lemon tetra in particular, I know for sure I can get these. Though if anyone has any more suiting ideas I would love to look into those as well.

This is of course worst case scenario but I thought this would be the best I could make of the situation.

Back
Top Bottom