Inherited tank in mediocre condition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billburroughs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just inherited the maintenance of the 65 gallon tank at my son's elementary school. It was in somewhat bad shape, mostly just a severe green algae problem. The issue is, I'm new to FW, I've been doing SW for a while. The biggest issue I have with this setup is I don't understand how the filter works. There is a builtin overflow box in the back corner and a powerhead toward the top of it pointing out a hole in the side of the overflow box. Under the powerhead is about 6 sponges of varying granularity. I guess I don't understand how the filter is working if the powerhead is sucking up water just above the sponges. The flow could just as easily come from the top of the tank and not get sucked in through the bottom where the sponges are. Any advice on how this setup should work?

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to post pics on Monday when the school opens again. That's the thing, I can't find a model or anything for either the tank or anything else. Even the power head acting as the filter pump has the label worn off. I'm not sure the filter is even a "brand", I think it was built into the tank. The box is just like those overflow boxes on the inside of a reef tank, but built into the tank. I'm about ready to just rip everything out of that box and ask for suggestions on what type of filter "should" go in that box. There is no hose or anything that would pull water through the sponges. Luckily after cleaning the you know what out of the powerhead it went from about 40 GPH to about 300.

Sounds suspiciously like a DIY filter. I would say that due to the condition of it and it's size, the person who set it up used some DIY to get it running (canisters weren't very popular or available at the time)? All the other equipment appears to have been "added on" after time.

Sounds like time to start over with the filtration. What would one use in an overflow box like that in a FW setup that size? Or not using the overflow?

I would do away with the overflow...it's not necessary if you want to go with a normal filter.

Depending on the inhabitants of the tank, a canister or an HOB would do fine.

Thanks for all of the advice! I'm going to keep the power head in there for motion and grab a HOB power filter. Everything else is coming out.

Back
Top Bottom