Inheriting a 55 gallon.... Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
A friend of a friend of a friend is going to give me a 55 - 75g tank (not sure what it is, i haven't seen it yet) and I was going to ask for some ideas on what to put it in. My only goal is to keep the cost EXTREMELY low, meaning, only adding fish. No plants unless they can survive with stock lighting.

In my past I've kept Oscars, tetras, loaches, bolivian rams, german blue rams, plecos and maybe some other odds and ends.

The tank will be in my dorm room alongside my current 10g planted (see sig)

I'm open to anything, maybe filling it with just 100,000,000 tetras, or 2 peacock bass, or i was thinking about getting into Apistos? They seem really interesting.

Your thoughts?

Patience young ninja.

Ever consider ciclids? Can't have plants with them anyway. They don't mind the low lighting. Overall, pretty aggressive like your oscars were, but lively too.

It's actually coming with African cichlids that I think I want to get rid of. I dont like only having one type... But we'll see. Any one else have ideas?

Um... just be careful as in most standard college dorm rooms having a 55g might rouse some raised eyebrows... (we're only allowed one 10g per room here which sucks!).

You should be able to do some interesting things though depending on what you wanted. What about angels?

i recently inherited a 55. thought it was gonna be cheap because i inherited it but ended up spending about $150 on it, not including any extra fish that i bought

i bought 4 apisto sunburst cockatoo cichlids. by far my favorite fish. i bought them at $18 a pop. really mild fish they dont pay any attention to the other fish in the tank at all. i recommend them.

Back
Top Bottom