Input on setting up second tank to make room for cichlids in main tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimeTwister

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all, I currently have a set up 55 gallon planted community tank. I also have some empty tanks and I want to set up my 29 gallon. My wife and I both want to try cichlids this time around, but from all my research the 55 would be better for them, not the 29.

So here is my dilemma...I am not sure which stock to move from the 55 to the 29 to make room for the cichlids. I need to take into account stocking levels and compatibility.

I am leaning towards mbuna, but am open to africans. I just don't want to go with anything to small like shellies or apistos, or anything too large where I will only be able to fit a couple pairs.

Here is what is currently in the 55:
5 cories
5 pristilla tetras
3-4 ottos
3 BN plecos
12 neon tetras
3 zebra loaches
1 GB Ram

The 55 has pool filter sand substrate, a large piece of driftwood (too big for 29) and a bunch of plants. It also has an XP3 filters and AC75 HOB filter. I have a spare AC55 for the 29.

What would you move, and what would you keep in the 55, and with all the above info which general family of cichlids would you recommend? Or is this whole idea bad and should I just leave my 55 alone?

You can leave the loaches and BN. I had my cichlids in my 55g before moving them all over to my 150g. Acei and Yellow labs looking really good.

Back
Top Bottom