installing a under gravel filter in an established tank?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shimpoe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
this is pretty much a cut and dry question .... would installing a under gravel filter in an established tank freak out my fish? cuz i would have to take out all the plants and most of the gravel to do it, and use a siphon on all the gravel first to help deplete as much nasty muck as possible... any thoughts???????¿¿¿¿¿¿

thats what i was gonna ask, why DO you need an Under Gravel filter? and if your so desperate to have one i would guess to put all your fish in a QT just to make sure that they live and dont go into shock and you might as well (if this helps it go faster) just take a really deep bowl put that in the tank and take out all the gravel you can get and once you install the UG filter you can put the gravel back on top of it so that way
#1 you dont loose any water that doesnt need to be lost
#2 well it just seems more gratifying

well, to me anyways

HTH

I wouldn't bother with an UGF. It will just trap waste down under the plates and be much more trouble than it's worth. A good HOB or canister filter is so much better and easier to maintain, and should be more than adequate for your bio filtration. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom