Insurance question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tweakz20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. My apartment complex told me they don't allow aquariums due to being an insurance liability. I found this out too late and already have a 10 gallon freshwater. I'd really like to get at least 1 more also. I get renter's insurance from Erie and asked them about it. They said they only cover contents. Does anyone know of a renter's insurance that covers damage to other's property (people below us) from a problem with the aquarium? I don't really want to move out because of this, it's a nice place..
Thanks

If the complex doesn't allow it I don't think theres much if anything you can do about it.

let me tell you :D
I have a friend who has a 34G tank hidden in a closet lol
it really sucks not to be able to have a fishtank in your own house :(

let me tell you :D
I have a friend who has a 34G tank hidden in a closet lol
it really sucks not to be able to have a fishtank in your own house :(

Yup, that's one of the reasons I refuse to ever rent apartment again.

The reasoning behind it and it's not so much the little ones like a 10g it't the big ones like the 55+ There is a tun of weigh going on those floors. It's more than 600lbs for a 55 in a small concentrated area. What if there is an accident and the tank fails? 55 gallons of water on your floor and through your neighbors ceilling? That's why they don't allow them

Yeah I asked them initially what the maximum weight would be so it wouldn't break the place and got the blanket statement, no aquariums allowed. So even a tiny betta bowl is banned even though it'd be the equivalent of dropping a glass of water.

Pretty annoying rules but I guess it's common for apartments. I was just hoping there'd be insurance coverage available to say, hey, this is covered, so it's not a liability for you.

You're a better person than me I would never have asked! I would just have done whatever I wanted. But then again I have never rented for more than a couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom