Intake & Spray Bar Placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chainsaw4130

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently setup a 2217 on my 29g. I have the intake in the left corner and the spray bar along the right side, pointing across the tank to the left, rather than front to back. The flow seems to hit the left side of the tank then go back to the right. I'm wondering if it would make sense to put the intake and spray bar along the same side of the tank.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

I usually dont use a spray bar as i feel it reduces the flow rate i just use the lilly out put thing, but id have the intake to the left back corner and the spray bar on the right side panel pushing the dirty water to the intake and avoiding the filtered water being taken streight back into the filter. What size tank do you have?

Sent from my SM-T210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with Mathew and don't use a spray bar. They are good at agitating the water surface and increasing oxygen levels at the surface but there is little water flow deeper in the tank. I have my outlet 1" under the water and pointing slightly downwards.
I put a tiny amount of flake between my thumb and finger and put my hand deep into the tank and slowly release it to see where the water is moving. In my 60 gal with two canister filters I was surprised at the odd angles that gave me the best circulation. All tanks will differ depending on the decor and planting of course. It's trial and error, there is no right and wrong way.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I asked this a while back and I got mixed answers but what made the most sense to me was to have both on the same side. Otherwise you are spraying your clean filtered water directly toward the intake. One member was telling me that he has seen fluidized testing that showed having the intake and spraybar on the same side of the tank provided the best circulation for the tank.

Back
Top Bottom