Intentional fish-o-cide!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frsh36gal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been keeping aquariums for 3 years now and cannot believe something I saw yesterday. I work in a large five star hotel and I noticed that our business center suddenly had an aquarium last night. OMG! Here was a brand new, un-cycled 10 gallon aquarium, with about 50 fish in it, only half full of water, filter lost its syphon, and five floating fish. This couldn't have been set up for more than 6 hours. My first though was who the h$%@ do I yell at in the morning (I work overnight and meet them everyday). I gave them a piece of my mind at 9am, telling them that with that set up I was amazed there were any left alive. Apparently the tank was to be a prize for the christmas party we hold for the staffs children. I told him he would be lucky if any were alive at noon. What does he reply with?!? "Well the store said they'd last til' at least 6pm." WTF? I told him to leave any fish left alive for me as I've just been cycling a new 30 gallon. They're sitting in a bowl right now (25 left) receiving 20% water changes every hour or so.....I've given up on believing that there are decent pet stores out there.

some people dont even concider fish to have any feeling what so ever... Its horrible. Just because they cant whimper when something hurts, or get a sad face when somethings bothering them.
ignorance... *sigh*

And just what was going to happen when a kid gets to take home a tank with a bunch of dead fish?? Some Christmas prize that is :evil:

Not only does he take home a "prize" of a tank full of fish, his joy is certain to grow as he watches the whole thing turn into a glass bucket of death. The kid would never forget such a thing -

I really abhor the practice of live animals being given as prizes. Good luck with this and I hope you gave somebody something to think about when they dream up an appropriate prize.

GREAT holiday spirit on that guy :roll:

I'd feel absolutely horrible if I were a child taking care of these brand new fish and they died.. heck, I'd feel horrible now.

You should find out what store and what guy and report him to his boss.

And, if they don't care about fish you can always say "These were supposed to be gifts to small children"

ugh, i hate fish store people

Idiots are abundant...there oughta be a law! The employee and the LFS are equally at fault (sounds like the entire stock was purchased). Grab that reciept and then grab the store manager!

:uzi:

"Well the store said they'd last til' at least 6pm."

What kind of store sells fish with the intention of having them die soon? That doesn't make sense at all. What kind of people work there...jeezGood job for speaking your mind though and saving those fish.

What kind of store sells fish with the intention of having them die soon?
The store that wants you to come back and buy more fish :x
This all goes back to the thinking that fish don't last long anyway. Some people are amazed when I tell them my husband and I moved with our fish and of course the cats and birds (the move took two days). They are even more surprised when I tell them some of our cichlids are over 5 years old.
Disposable pets for a disposable world :evil:

Well its been a few days now. I have seven survivors out of 63 :cry: .

Life in the brave new world started hard for my little friends. First was the shock of this strange stuff called "clean water". Then there was the constant bullying from the Puffer brothers. And finally the spinning vortex of death...IE filter. It's been a constant challenge, but they're troopers.

I hope they like their new home. Daily feeding, live plants, constant PH...temp...etc

My new mission is to save as many fish from that evil store as my paycheck will allow....hmmm...I always wanted a discus tank, and a cichlid tank, and...Uh-oh, "whats that you say, you want my rent...hehe...OK, funny story"

Back
Top Bottom