interesting fish suggestions!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suzie83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone.
Always receive good advice on here so seeking it once again. Basically looking for interesting fish suggestions for my tanks. So here's the long version.....

So I have 3 tanks a small one in the kitchen @ 30l. A 75l in the bedroom and approx 450l in the living room. I also have a separate quarantine tank.

Well the problem is I feel as if all the tanks are basically there as a breeding area for platties and it's not fun anymore. Been separating males and females and trying to stop inbreeding only to find one of the large ones have changed sex and impregnated its own mother... not happy.

So the plan after Christmas is to change all tanks. The fish shop I go is great (wish I found him in the first place) and is happy to take any of our fish. Actually very keen to take few...

Him and my partner are looking at a Malawi set up or similar. But I'm not sure. I love most of my current fish just hate the platties now. So I would prefer to possible rearrange my current tanks and get rid of my platties and get new additions.

Fish currently between all tanks are....clown loaches (now cannibals), discus, pleco (dwarf size), flying fox, Otto, Siamese fighting fish (my favorite), mollies, danio, neon tetra, Pakistani loaches, chinese algae eater, and the platties. I get attached to the fish so nth convinced about getting rid f them but suggestions welcome..
Sorry once again for the long post.
Suzanne

Hi!

Please think about which way you want to go with the tanks. Peaceful, Aggressive or somewhere in between. Once you have decided that, do a little reading one the kind of fish you would consider. Do you have a planted tank?

Reason is I don't know which type of fish to consider. Really open to anything and of course lots of research will be put in before hand.

I think I would like something in between not totally convinced on aggressive. All I know for sure is we want is interesting ones with good characters. I know every fish has that to some degree but not completely.

For instance I like the Siamese as he sits in my hand to feed. I like the clown loaches and Pakistani loaches as there always busy and love there clicking sound. And I love the Chinese algae eater as he loves building and moving stones to create a new spaces.

Most places I look on line, advise the same fish over and over again which is platties etc. So looking for different suggestions to see what direction to go in.

Also sorry. My small tank isn't planted and not planning on that. Think it's too small. The medium tank has approx 5 plants but will be getting changed and the large tank has about 12 plants plus bogwood with plants. Don't really want to go for a planted tank as I'm really unsure about the co2 etc and don't feel confident about it. However depending on the fish the full tank set up will prob need to change.

Also my large tank has sand substrate and possibly would like this in my medium tank also depending on the changes.

Suzanne

I got a Bolivian ram Friday and I love it. I'm actually thinking of breeding them. It's been such a nice addition to my tank, I love the colors on him and he gets along great with everyone in my tank, he especially loves hanging out with my cories lol. At first I had him in with an angel and 5 giant danios, but ended up taking them back to LFS (love my LFS! They are so good about taking fish back that don't work well together!) and exchanged them for serpae tetras and I absolutely love my tank! I have the Bolivian ram, 6 serpae tetras, 1 balloon Molly, 2 platies, 5 cories, and 1 albino pleco. They all get along so good, there is always action somewhere in my tank!

The rams are really pretty. Quick read there and it mentions them being partners that's so lovely. Like the tetras also. Will definitely read more about them.

Thank you for sharing

Well if you go with the Malawi setup on your bigger tank you can kiss all the plants goodbye but on the bright side mbuna's are colorful, active and hardy. Not to many people i know have gone to a rift lake setup and regretted it.

That's what the guy in the pet shop said. He says that community tanks are boring so doesn't surprise him we want change and said Malawi or Oscar set up. But really he always suggests marine and reckons we will change eventually lol. There is so many species of Malawi though which is difficult but a full change in the tank doesn't put us off. Whatever needs to be done to suit the fish.

Just been corrected. My partner is looking at tanganyika cichlids as a possibility but I'm unsure.

Back
Top Bottom