Interesting new moss magically appeared!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColdKoi

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got back from a week vacation and Sometime during the week I have had a mystery moss start taking over one of the pieces of wood in my 75g

This tank only has some Java moss that’s been in there for about 6 months, and this looks different in structure and Colour from that. The only other moss I have is Christmas moss in my other tanks but again completely different looking. Not sure where it came from or what it is, but it’s definitely thriving (and hopefully not going to consume the tank!)

Any ideas what it might be?

zW0tJC7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I truly have no idea, but it’s scary. I’d rinse everything off in that tank & do a good water change, 50-70%. I’ve discarded plants that were quickly overtaken by algae or whatever, most likely due to light from the window behind the tanks. Now blocked off.

PS. That’s a good photo! Did you use a cell?

Nothing has changed in the tank or it’s surroundings for about 6 months other than the addition of a lava rock decoration about a month ago. Both my other tanks got some of the same batch of lava rock for their decorations and neither of those have anything funny growing so I don’t believe that’s where it came from

Lighting hasn’t changed in this tank for nearly a year, the window behind the tank is north facing, so for us that means absolutely no chance of direct sunlight, just some ambient light at best

Picture was taken with my phone. iPhone 13 pro with very dirty and scratched up lenses lol

I could not get a pic like that with my iPad.

Spontaneous Creation? The moss gods?

I had filamentous algae seemingly appear out of no where in a 5 year old setup where nothing new had been added. It was more on the glass than anywhere else.

This is a closeup of what a marine biologist at some prestigious university identified as a type of filamentous algae that suddenly appeared on the interior front glass wall of my established tank. The things that kinda look like eyeballs are oxygen bubbles. I kept wiping them down & they vanished after a few weeks.

Attachments

• A2AA9D84-4574-41AB-B149-A2BAACC66816.jpg
    A2AA9D84-4574-41AB-B149-A2BAACC66816.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 13
This is a closeup of what a marine biologist at some prestigious university identified as a type of filamentous algae that suddenly appeared on the interior front glass wall of my established tank. The things that kinda look like eyeballs are oxygen bubbles. I kept wiping them down & they vanished after a few weeks.

Well that’s definitely not what I’ve got. It’s more of a moss type structure

He did say there were many types of filimentous algae. Here’s a pic of the glass. The white streaks were created by movement, they didn’t really look like that.

Attachments

• 471F045A-2E85-4BB1-8186-43D1C83D35C3.jpeg
    471F045A-2E85-4BB1-8186-43D1C83D35C3.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 15
Now I’m really confused!

The moss is still growing good on that piece of wood and seems to keep itself isolated to that for now

But, overnight something has laid eggs on the front glass and I’m not sure whatthe heck it might be! They look similar to a nerite snail egg but I haven’t had a nerite in the tank for months (I cleaned the glass last night and the eggs are there this morning). The only other snails in the tank is a single mystery snail and bladder snails, neither of which lay eggs like this

From what I’ve been finding, they’re possibly eggs from my zebra danios? I’m not sure I’ve never had and of my danios spawn yet!

The tank is really coming to life these last few weeks lol

Attachments

• 0EAEAFA1-886F-494B-93B0-26E97DCB8D16.jpg
    0EAEAFA1-886F-494B-93B0-26E97DCB8D16.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 9
Corydoras or cichlid eggs. What fish are in the tank?

Danios scatter their eggs in plants and the eggs sink to the bottom.
Snail eggs don't look like that.
Corydoras produce clusters of eggs like that and stick them to hard objects (the glass sides of the tank is commonly used).
Angelfish and some other cichlids lay eggs on the sides of tanks but they are usually in rows and a lot more than that. The adult cichlids will also guard the eggs, whereas Corydoras abandon them.

Ahh ok makes sense. I do have a half dozen or so Cory’s in there so that must be whose been getting busy lol

The other tank mates are tiger barbs, rts and couple bristlenose pleco.

The barbs are egg scatterers like danios.
Bristlenose lay their eggs in caves, and the eggs tend to be a yellow colour.
Red tail sharks don't normally breed in aquariums.

Back
Top Bottom