Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2003, 05:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

introducing new little tiger barbs to old established barbs

hi
we have 3 green tigers & 3 stripey tigers in our community tank & after the sad loss of 4 zebra danios to fungus over the past 2 months we're thinking about getting a couple of new tigers. our barb gang is well established having been in our tank for approx 4 months, they all seem to get along v well & we're just wondering what would happen if we got a couple of baby barbs for the group. ours are about 1 & a half inches big & the barbs we have been eyeing up are tiny. were worried about them being picked on, or would the other barbs welcome them as family?"??? does anyone have any experience of this???
all hints/comments most welcome. we dont want to put anything in our tank that may get terrorized as its a very peaceful, friendly tank.
thank

Old 10-12-2003, 01:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I put my six Green Tiger Barbs in two at a time over a period of about a month and a half. They seemed to fight amongst themselves on and off for a couple of hours until a pecking order is established. It looks kinda viscious but it's sporadic and no damage was done. After that they get along fine.

The most fighting occurred when I added a slightly bigger tiger barb that wanted to be top dog. The smaller ones got chased a little at first, but that stopped rather quickly.

I wouldn't hesitate to add new barbs, especially smaller ones. But let me know how it works out.

Old 10-12-2003, 01:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would it help when adding new fish to change plants and stuff around in the tank so that it is basically like new territory for everyone?
Megalofyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 09:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

It would help with more territorial fish, but tiger barbs aren't territorial. They're all over the place! They're shoaling fish, so they're going to set up a pecking order no matter what. The fighting really isn't bad at all. It's kinda cute actually. The only reason I even mentioned it was so that when it did occur millym would know that it wasn't anything to worry about.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:04 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks everyone - we're holding off for the moment, think we'll get a couple more danios first as we've only got 2 left, 1m 1f & the poor f never gets any rest from the boy he's always chasing her (not aggressive) i think it must be luuuuuuuurve
Old 11-07-2003, 11:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to ADCISCO Send a message via Yahoo to ADCISCO
I just bought 8 tiger barbs and too are wondering if they are going to mess with my other fish? Some people say they are aggressive and some say they are just to other barbs until they get the pecking order. Take a look at what I have in my tank....give or take a few...some have passed on to the big lake in the sky. Let me know what you thing...got a great deal on them 88 cents a peice! P.S> Not all of those are in the same tank!
Old 11-07-2003, 11:36 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

MillyM - I think you would be fine getting more, and I say the more the merrier with tiger barbs. I also strongly recommend putting them in quarrantine for a couple of weeks first, and they might get a wee bit bigger in that time.

ADCISCO, probably all the fish you list will be fine with tiger barbs, with the exception of the betta, and with 8 of them they will probably stick together. They are extremely fast and busy, and it is possible some of the slower moving fish will be annoyed by them.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 11:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just from my own experience...

ADCISCO: Even though they mostly keep to themselves in groups of 6 or more, long fins are usually irresistable to them! Definitely don't put them in with the betta. I would keep them away from any other fish with longish fins too. I have mine with white clouds and a rainbow shark with no problems.

Millym: I introdruced a much smaller tiger into my "pack" about a month ago, and had no problems. The larger barbs basically ignore the little guy... even though he tries to be one of the guys and chase them around! I am thinking of getting some more smaller tigers too. I don't think I'll have any problem, but always have a QT on hand just in case...

HTH
Old 11-07-2003, 12:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to ADCISCO Send a message via Yahoo to ADCISCO
Bought another Betta today too ....Dont worry neither one of them are in the tank!!!! They are seperated. I was afraid to put my betta in the comunity tank......my jewel tetra are a bit nippy at times and I didnt trust them!

Tags
barb, barbs, tiger, tiger barbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com