Introducing the fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so here's my stock I plan on having!

1 rainbow shark
2 angelfish
8 black kuhli loaches
6 ottos
1 bristle nose pleco
1 peacock eel
4 German blue ram cichlid

My question is, which fish should I put in first!? I wasn't sure if I needed to let certain fish go in first to establish a "territory" I guess you could say. My tank is a 55 gallons tank with about 10 java fern. I'm almost done with my fishless cycle!

Attachments

• image-3772608298.jpg
    image-3772608298.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 92
I would do the most peaceful fish then start to get to the more aggressive ones

I would worry about the angel fish

Both the rainbow shark and the cichlids can be very aggressive....

Ok...I just wanted to start this by saying I have kept a lot of fish together that weren't "compatable"...BUT!

With the Loaches, rainbow, rams, and eel you could have some serious territory issues in the bottom/middle area of the tank, where all of these fish stay. The rainbow can be aggressive and grow up to 6". I had a redtail (which is pretty much the same fish)that took out an angel. The eel can grow over a foot long and is a carnivore so your ottos, and loaches, which stay small, might become snacks. Rams also are not very tough and can be bullied by the rainbow and die for stress. I suggest a school (5 to 8) of YoYo loaches or striatia botia instead of the rainbow and kuhlis. YoYos and striatia botias both grow large enough that the eel won't bother them, but are less territorial then the rainbow. They should get along with the rams also. You could try to see what happens with the ottos, the eel might not bother them if they stay away...

Final stock - 2 angels, 7 striatia botia, 8 ottos, 4 rams, 1 peacock eel. Maybe a moonlight gourami to top it off? Haha.

Last but not least...you want to add a few fish every couple weeks. The rams and ottos should be put in last. Rams and ottos should have a nice established tank before being introduced.

Ok, thank you all for the info! However I'm not a big fan of either the Striatia Botia or the yoyo loaches :/ ill have to find a different fish to replace those with! Any suggestions? And I want something more colorful than a midnight gourami, hence the German rams. But again, ill have to find a different fish to replace them with! Any suggestions?? What is the possibility of having a rainbow or red tail shark? Which fish would I want to remove... I really want the rainbow shark, the eel, and the BNP. If anyone knows and mid/top level swimmers that are colorful then I would love to hear suggestions!! Thanks again for all the info!! :)

Ok, thank you all for the info! However I'm not a big fan of either the Striatia Botia or the yoyo loaches :/ ill have to find a different fish to replace those with! Any suggestions? And I want something more colorful than a midnight gourami, hence the German rams. But again, ill have to find a different fish to replace them with! Any suggestions?? What is the possibility of having a rainbow or red tail shark? Which fish would I want to remove... I really want the rainbow shark, the eel, and the BNP. If anyone knows and mid/top level swimmers that are colorful then I would love to hear suggestions!! Thanks again for all the info!! :)

This is in a way different direction but what about small tropical fish? Balloon-Belly mollies are my favorite but it depends on the size of all the other fish. Plus they prefer the top level of the tank.

This is in a way different direction but what about small tropical fish? Balloon-Belly mollies are my favorite but it depends on the size of all the other fish. Plus they prefer the top level of the tank.

Lol, yeah I have a 10 gallon tropical fish tank so I kinda wanted this 55 to be a semi aggressive tank! Balloon mollies are nice fish though!! Thanks anyways! :)

First, gouramies can be kept if 20gallons is provided for each fish

Second, the balloon mollies. I had several in the past and they are ery cute fish but they have a very short lifespan (average 1.5 years) and are prone to many health issues. Reason being.... their bellies lol

The bloated swim blatter making the large belly is unhealthy and unnatural making for a very weak fish

AND even if you did want them it would have to be a strictly community and very peaceful tank

A pudgy little fish can do little to defend itself

Back
Top Bottom