Invertebrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

techo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone,

I have a 55 gallon community tank that I am in the process of stocking.

I was curious if anyone had any successful invertebrates that grrrrr along with community fish?

Thanks!

I have heard that snails can mass reproduce... or fish attempt to eat the snails.

Fyi I have a freshwater tank... My bad

Of course it'll depend on your stock. I have had a kribensis with RCS along with other snails.

But some community fish eats invertebrates so it's about the research.

We need to know which fish you have or will have. Some will eat the inverts, some won't.

Right now I currently have 5 serpae tetras, 2 rosy barb and 2 neon barb, looking to add corys, more barbs, potentially a red tail or rainbow shark

The shark will be an issue with shrimp. Rainbow sharks should have at least 55 gallons (I prefer 75), but red tails must have 75. They're more aggressive.

My rainbow shark ate my school of danios, so I wouldn't trust it with inverts.

The corys will be fine. I have different cory species in my RCS tank.

The larger the species, the more you need to be concerned about them making the inverts lunch.

You need to build up your existing schools. I would add 3 more serpaes and at least 4 more of each barb. Corys will need groups of at least 5.

Awesome advice! Well while on the subject I guess I will steer clear of sharks for now. I definitely want to add corys and build up my barb schools. I would like to add some more variety to my tank, any species suggestions?

I think you should add a large school of kuhli loaches to the bottom level, too. They have a small bioload. I have over a dozen of them in my community tank and just love them to bits. They are very entertaining and they don't bother anybody. Mine used to school with my krib fry.

Perhaps you could look into bamboo shrimp rather than a small invert. They are a lot of fun and really beautiful. They're large enough that the fish won't bother them. I can also recommend amano and ghost shrimp with your fish.

Nerite snails should be fine and can't reproduce in FW. Snail infestations aren't ever a given. They are a symptom or overfeeding or inadequate maintenance. That said, other than ramshorns and nerites most aren't much to look at anyways.

Awesome advice guys! Anyone have any schooling top water swimmers, who dont mind current? And/or an attractive centerpiece fish?

Awesome advice guys! Anyone have any schooling top water swimmers, who dont mind current? And/or an attractive centerpiece fish?

Hatchets if the tank is covered, midsize danios (d. kyathit, roseus, etc) otherwise. For a centerpiece, there are a ton of choices so I can't really suggest one without knowing what you like. Personally, I'd do a trio of pearl gourami, but I'm partial to that fish. lol

techo said:

I would say Rainbowfish like Furcatas or Threadfins but Serpaes can be very pushy and little Rainbows can't compete.

Back
Top Bottom