Is a 10 -20 ppm Nitrate level good ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe_D

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is what I now have in a cycled, fully planted tank which includes plenty of Hornwort and Anacharis. and some Frogbit..

Fish and plants are doing great..

Thats fine. Typically keeping nitrate below 40ppm is considered a good level to be at. Many people keep fish at much higher than 40ppm without issues also. Fish have a tendancy to acclimate to poor nitrate levels over time as the increase tends to be gradual over weeks/months.

Am I correct in assuming that you do not want it to get much lower for the benefit of the plants that need Nitrates?

This in a 10 gal tank. I have been doing 3 gal water changes about every third or fourth day..
Would it be wise to extend the period between changes a bit to see how it goes?

10 to 20ppm of nitrate is sufficient for a planted tank. Yes you could space out your water changes, say 30% weekly to see if they elevate too much. If 50% weekly isnt enough to keep you below 40ppm you are overstocked. I think you are fine though. Consider fish will grow though and increase bioload.

OK thanks. :)

That Nitrate level is what I had today, before I did water change today..
Last nitrate test and water change was 4 days ago...

I will now go a week before I check Nitrates again (and do a water change) and see where I am..
Hopefully it did not go up... .

Back
Top Bottom