Is a filter needed on a temporary QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jjensen187

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey I had a fungal outbreak in my 29 gallons so I decided to set up a quarantine for the fish showing symptoms. It's a 10gal with a heater and airstone. I am dosing it with maracyn and it has two fish in it, a dwarf gourami and a tetra. I'll only be dosing for 5 days, is it necessary to have a filter on this QT tank? If not what steps should I take for the next 5 days?

Ideally an established filter is ideal ... which is why running two filters in your main tank is beneficial, the second can act as a backup and a QT filter.

However, in medical QT, I prefer to just run an air-stone. IMO ... in medical QT's your going to do multiple PWC's anyway since clean water's a must for curing fish, so chances are your ammo is not going to build up much anyway.

When I treated my Green TigerBarb for a fungus, I just ran an air-stone and did 50% PWC daily. Granted you have to re-dose the meds, but the fresh clean water helps the healing.

I've considered but don't know the necessary steps for restarting it without the risk of a cycle. Also it would be very difficult to remove all the substrate as I'm using PFS.

I figured since I'll be doing water changes every day I'll be ok without a filter.

I don't have a filter on my hospital tanks either. As previously mentioned, frequent water changes are hugely beneficial to a recovering fish, almost negating the need for a filter on smaller tank. I would put in an airstone though.

Back
Top Bottom