Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to SeymourFRESH
is a UV sterilizer right for me? (kinda long)

i have recently been combating major algae problems, but we have taken care of them by using RO water to get rid of phosphates. it's a slow process but we're making progress.

but at the same time, in my 92 gallon planted tank, my rams keep getting sunken bellies and i simply can NOT catch them to QT them. i have tried and tried again, but there are wayyyy too many plants to get them out.

but now i am concerned that whatever that is causing the sunken bellies (whether it's parasites or bacteria) is going to end up spreading to my other fish. my rams have been sick for a while now (one of them has been sick for 2 weeks and the other sick one has been sick for over a month and a half).

i have been reading about UV sterilizers and they say they can help take care of pesky parasites and bacterial infections free floating in the water as well as algae. the only thing i read about them that makes me a little skeptical about them is that it says it can kill good bacteria too. do any of you use a UV sterilizer? how has it worked out for you?

my water parameters:
PH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
phosphate: 2

i must stress that my main concern is the parasites, and believe me i do not want to use medication. lol

i have read on here that jungles parasite clear works great, and i imagine it does but would that really be effective on a larger aquarium like a 92 gallon?

Old 09-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
i dont think the uv would be able to help to much, depends on the parasite i guess.

couldnt you lower your water 40-60% and then try to catch them, even if you wait till they're sleeping.

medications are effective for any size tank, however it will cost you alot more money to keep water constantly treated in a 92 gallon tank, that it owuld be a 20 gallon.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am a huge advocate of the Jungle Labs fizz tablets, and have used them with great success in the past. I would also suggest attempting to move them to a smaller tank to treat them if possible. Perhaps you could use a fish trap to get them?
Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Re: is a UV sterilizer right for me? (kinda long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeymourFRESH
i have been reading about UV sterilizers and they say they can help take care of pesky parasites and bacterial infections free floating in the water as well as algae. the only thing i read about them that makes me a little skeptical about them is that it says it can kill good bacteria too. do any of you use a UV sterilizer? how has it worked out for you?
UV sterilizers kill any living thing that travels through them (depending on the wattage of the sterilizer being used). The majority of your beneficial bacteria are surface bound on your substrate, in your filter, and on your tank walls. The small bit that is free floating is not a factor in ammonia removal.

What I have heard that might be bad is that UV sterlizers can affect nutrients used for your plants. Iron, and other minerals/metals used in smal amounts might be affected which could harm your plants.

I personally use a diatom filter. This physically removes any small particle (including bacteria/ich/etc), but this is not a 24hr piece of equipment. I run it occasionally when the water needs to be polished, during/after a battle with Ich, or other problem.

I agree with catching them for QT. You can make fish traps that will not harm them and be much less stressful than chasing them around the planted tank.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:15 PM   #5

Try this simple trap...but if they wont eat, it wont work.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=85742

Tags
long, uv sterilizer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com