Is Algae Bad??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you Jchillin.

Anyways, I got a HOB filter yesterday. Penguin 150 BIO-Wheel. It seems to be working just fine.

A few more Qs if you all don't mind;

- How do you encourage growth of green hair algae? I like the look of that, but all the algae I have is just a thin film of green; no hairs.
- So I should remove the UGF withOUT fish present in the tank, and rinse it above the tank itself, to release required bacteria back into the tank? Perhaps I should just make another topic about removing UGFs...

jbarr, from your previous posts I'm guessing that you have no fish present in the tank right now. If you haven’t had fish in the tank for the past month (or the past week for that matter) then you will need to recycle the tank. There won’t be any beneficial bacteria left anywhere. The recommendation to remove the UGF was mainly because they’re a pain. A gravel vac will do more to clean the gravel than an UGF. You will find some that still use them, but most people have moved to different kinds of filtration.

I don’t have any real experience with removing an undergravel filter, so I doubt I can help you there. I’m sure that a search on the topic will yield some good results though. I know I’ve seen threads on it in the past.

As far as growing hair algae goes, blah ;). I’ve got small amounts of it in my planted tank that I’m trying to get rid of. I chop off leaves that I see with it, etc. IMO it’s an eyesore, but some like it.

Back
Top Bottom