Is API STRESS ZYME good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UKRobbie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi ?,, I’m new to this site. Nice to meet you.

I have two establish 200 litre fish tanks. Well was establish and everything was going so well. Both tanks had loads of fish in and had 0 problems. Anyway a couple of days ago I decided to upgrade my u4 to an external filter. Thought it would help. The pet shop guy showed me the working. I put my media into the new filter and got it set up. Turning out to be a pain to work with! I did buy two filters and had one set up on one of my tanks. Anyway after running it. I noticed some of my fish dying straightaway. So I was panicking! I think the filter set up was set up wrong by the manner factor. The filter was a hydra filtron 1000. The media was at the bottom of the tray. So the water goes down the pipe and up though the media to the pads. Then the pads first and then to the media. I phoned the pet shop and asked if I was doing everything right. They said it’s fine! But I’m not to sure on it. Anyway I ended up going back to my u4 filters. Got Fed up with it! I added up putting some stability in. And did a water change. Then added some stress Syme. Anyway I notice more fish starting to die. My Gouramis started to die! I had 4 of them all doing well in the tank. 2 died.. so I put the other two into my other tank. What I didn’t do the filter! Left the U4 in. Anyway more fish started to die. So I taken one of the sponges from the other tank with the Gouramis in and replaced it and put it into the tank with the problem. Now my other tank as started having problems and fish started to die in that tank! I did water changes and added API zyme. Thought it may help since it as bacteria! But after looking up. People say the bacteria will kill fish bacteria that is on your media. Is this right? Do I really need to use this stuff? I do use the stress coat for water change. Anyway I have lost about 18 fish all together. Not a happy guy. :banghead: ... Done a water test and both tanks seem to be fine. I’m just wondering if it’s down to bacteria. I just wish I didn’t bother with them filters now. Thank you for your help.

Welcome, sorry about your fish loss.

Sounds most like you triggered a mini cycle then once fish started dying your parameters likely tanked and made it worse.

Either bacteria were lost in the transition or the filter wasn’t set up or working properly causing bacteria die off. Stress zyme or a new filter with the same media properly transferred shouldn’t cause this. Perhaps you rinsed sponges too vigorously, left them in a bucket too long, forgot to add dechlor to rinse water or something like that?
Did you move all of your filter media or just some of it?

The fact that you removed media from one tank to put it in the other and the tank you removed media from crashed kind of screams cycling issues.

You’ll need to be way more specific than saying your water is fine. Clearly it is not so you just need to find out what the issue is. What tests did you do, when, and what were the numerical results?

Back
Top Bottom