Is aqadvisor's stocking calculation bogus or accurate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RachelG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was checking out the site, and looked at what species are suitable for a ten gallon tank. I noticed pearl gouramis are on that list. I know pearl gouramis get pretty darn big, like five inches, right? So would one really be suitable for a ten gallon tank? If that is true I might just swap my two platies for one! (Not really, I like my platies...)

It also says that six platies would be about fully stocked...I thought only three or four would be pushing it, from what I have been told. So is this site just hit-and-miss with its info, or is everything I think I know about stocking wrong?

It also told me that my two endlers are not suitable for my five gallon tank, because they will outgrow my tank space. Don't they only grow to be an inch, max? :confused:

I just used it now to check.

I added in 1 convict cichlid for my 27 gallon tank, with an aquaclear 70 filter. And it said the convict cichlid will outgrow my tank and needs a larger tank.

this is what it said:

Warning: Convict is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 15.2 cm.

You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 410%.
Recommended water change schedule: 12% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 55%

its not completely accurate, as you can expect, but its a good general reference

So I should not get my hopes up about putting six platies in my tank, right?

The site said two platies and five glowlight tetras would fit, though that sounds like a bit much. I was tempted for a few minutes to do that. I saw some pretty little glowlights in the store the other day, and wished I had a bigger tank to buy some. They are way prettier than neons.

It's a fantastic guide for beginners, it tends to be conservative but it really does help to highlight how much space fish will need.

So I should not get my hopes up about putting six platies in my tank, right?

The site said two platies and five glowlight tetras would fit, though that sounds like a bit much. I was tempted for a few minutes to do that. I saw some pretty little glowlights in the store the other day, and wished I had a bigger tank to buy some. They are way prettier than neons.

if you are diligent about doing large weekly water changes, its doable but 3 is a better number. i wouldn't put glolights in a 10 gallon, most of the small schooling fish need at least a 20 long so they have room to swim.

if you are diligent about doing large weekly water changes, its doable but 3 is a better number. i wouldn't put glolights in a 10 gallon, most of the small schooling fish need at least a 20 long so they have room to swim.

I've been thinking of re-arranging my room eventually to get a 20l. I'd love a big school of tetras or danios in a planted tank. I don't know if that would work out, since I have a lot of junk in here. My two smaller tanks take up all the room on my dresser.

Back
Top Bottom