Is chasing always a sign of aggression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

My Fish Babies.

Aquarium Advice Activist
I originally had three Bolivian rams as part of my 29 gallon community tank. They are going on about three years old now. I unfortunately lost one a few weeks back. I wanted to get another ram but decided on a sunset gourami. He has been in the tank for about 2 weeks now and chases both of my Rams on a regular basis. It does not appear to be overly aggressive but he seems quite bossy and the tank overall even occasionally chasing my neon tetras. The two remaining rams continue their typical behavior with each other but one of them tends to hide more often now. Have I thrown off the hierarchy in the community? Is there anything I need to watch out for? The gourami is beautiful and would hate to have to return him.

They will get used to him being there. It's defiantly a sign of aggression, but as long as there's no damage they should be okay. watch for fin nipping

Thank you. I figured as much but just wanted to be on the safe side. I am quite surprised at how dominant the sunset is behaving. My resesrch said the opposite guess its all individual behavior.

Back
Top Bottom