Is direct sunlight bad for fishes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaplantfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know about having Algae issue but I don't mind cleaning it and my water temp is also fine but I don't know if it's gonna affect the fishes in any way.

No it won't. Direct sunlight hits about 1/3 of my 220g and the fish actually seem to like to spend time in that area for the time the sun is in the tank. As long as it doesn't raise the temp of the water I have no issue with it.

I don't really know anything about it, but if it were my fish I would make sure they have plenty of places to get out of the sun.

It's not going to hurt anything except maybe promote algae growth. Like rivercats said as long as temps don't change your good to go.

I would say as long as the temp does not go up huge amounts I would say you are fine. Fish in nature get sunlight so why not fish in a tank. You are aware of the algae problem already so I really don't think there is much else.

Should I reduce it the temp? Caz it's what I put for the inline heater

I actually don't have an algae issues in the sun area of the tank or in the tank in general. In fact my non-green plants get some great color in that area of the tank. And my tank sits about 2-1/2 feet from the side window (south) and about 10 feet from the front (east) of the sunroom windows. It's a 3 sided glassed in sunroom so you can imagine the room is almost always flooded with light, direct and indirect.

I acutally took the lid off my tank this morning, it was a beautiful day! I thought a little algae would be good for the blue pearls I have in there. I take my lid off my tank when we go out of town and let the sunlight come through. They get a natural day and night cycle while I am gone. I notice I have a little more algae but the fish look really good. I haven't had any problems with algae with the new shrimp though, they love it!

Yeah my cichlids prefers the direct sun light it's as if there back in nature. And it won't harm them like everyone else said but definitely a lot of algae.

Occasionally I let direct sunlight hit the tank in the afternoon and it brings out greenish blue shades in my otherwise subdued colored tetras.

Back
Top Bottom