Is Fishing line safe for a Freshwater Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

studmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to use some fishing line to place plants and ornaments better in my tank and was just wondering if it would be safe to keep in a tank indefinitely?

Thanks in advance.

Fishyfanatic said:
As long as there isn't a hook attached I think you're good. :)

haha, :D

I just didn't know if the line is coated with something that might desolve into the water and cause problems. Thanks for the advice!

They do make biodegradable fishing line, but most of it isn't going to be that type.

Also, make sure it is well attached, so it doesn't get sucked into any equipment and possibly jam it up....

make sure it is as secure as possible for the safety of the fish and equipment.

FWIW, I use cotton thread to bind plants. Biodegradeable, and easier to break in emergencies

MyCatsDrool said:
make sure it is as secure as possible for the safety of the fish and equipment.

FWIW, I use cotton thread to bind plants. Biodegradeable, and easier to break in emergencies

How long does it usually take the cotton thread to biodegrade and do you have to make sure you buy thread that hasn't been dyed?

Fishing line is a pain to see in the tank - especially with curious fish all over your hands trying to see what you're doing!

AFAIK, most cotton threads are colorfast - meaning that the dyes won't leach into the water. I raided my mom's sewing box for a spool of black thread and have used it without any apparent problems.

The only thing I would worry about is antimicrobial treatment. I've never seen treated thread, but they seem to be treating everything else with Microban and the like.

Back
Top Bottom