Is Flourite what I'm looking for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradleyheathhays

Aquarium Advice Regular
Setting up a 125 (first tank ever) and I'm just sort of winging it here buying equipment and materials before I know what the exact end tank is gonna look like. So I'm trying to put everything together leaving as much room as possible for future flexibility. Only thing I know for sure is that it's gonna be planted and a species tank with rummy nose tetra. Anyhow, I just read a suggestion that if doing a planted tank one should mix Flourite into the gravel at a ratio of 1/4 to 1/2. Just wondering what everyone's opinion about this is and if there's something better than Flourite I should consider using.

Thanks

Since you want to go planted have you thought about using sand rather than gravel? It's a lot easier to manage plants in sand imho.

But to answer your question I would do a 50/50 mix.

Flourite or eco-complete are recommended because they have plant food built into them, but long term (6 months to a year or two depending on brand, plants used, etc) they'll still get depleted of nutrients and turn into expensive gravel that still needs root tabs. You can use organic potting soil topped with sand for much cheaper, the same nutrients, easier rooting, and easier waste cleanup.

I don't think you mix them, per se. Rather you would place the gravel on top of the Floramax (or whatever).

A 125 gallon full of Rummynose? That would look sweet. I'm a big fan of having one large school instead of several smaller schools of different fish. Don't forget to post pics when it's running and stocked.

Flourite or eco-complete are recommended because they have plant food built into them, but long term (6 months to a year or two depending on brand, plants used, etc) they'll still get depleted of nutrients and turn into expensive gravel that still needs root tabs. You can use organic potting soil topped with sand for much cheaper, the same nutrients, easier rooting, and easier waste cleanup.

They actually don't have nutrients added directly to the substrate but instead have a high CEC (Cation exchange capacity) which allows them to absorb and hold onto nutrients better than inert substrates such as sand or gravel making the nutrients available for plants. This also means they don't run out of nutrients and never really wear out.

Even with eco complete or flourite you will still need root tabs regardless as they don't hold enough nutrients alone for strong root feeders but overall is a better growth medium.

+1 with Mebbid. The CEC is the big reason for springing for a planted substrate like ECO or Amazonia, etc. All substrates will do this to some extent but the dedicated planted's do it many times more efficiently, IMO. Not as messy as some either. But all substrates have their pluses and minuses. The choice is up to you. OS.

Back
Top Bottom