Is having 1 skirt tetra ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfishgirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I’m new to this and just starting to stock my first cycled tank (Ammonia=0, Nitrites=0, Nitrates= 20. I have one Platty and today I bought 1 fancy tail guppy and 1 glofish skirt tetra. It looks like the skirt tetra is occasionally chasing my platty. I just read online that tetras are schooling fish and should be with 6 or more of their own kind. My problem with that is I have a smallish tank (10 gallons) and I think that means I shouldn’t have more than 5 fish... so I can only get two more and I wanted another platty.

Is it ok to keep only one skirt tetra?

Attachments

• D92D3620-CED5-4BED-945C-E6D453BA1E30.jpg
    D92D3620-CED5-4BED-945C-E6D453BA1E30.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 39
Most are schooling fish yes for those. They do better in a school and generally I find less issues. So I tend to recommend build a school of fish rather than bit of everything imo. But since you already have one you may find it adopts a school and settles in. Can be a little of pot luck.

I had this exact same thing. I have a black skirt tetra and a white platty and the tetra kept chasing my platty. there mostly fine. i have four other neon tetras but I guess there not the same

I would be looking to keeping one type of fish in your 10 gallon.

- 4 or 5 platys.
- 6 to 8 fancy guppies.
- 5 or 6 skirt tetras.

Back
Top Bottom