Is having oil in a fish tank bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yodlem

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was just putting more water into my fish tank and I carelessly used a container that previously had soup in it. (The oils probably a vegetable oil of some kind)

It was just some leftover oil from the soup, and it wasn't alot to form a film over the water, but enough to make the water a little cloudy

If there is a way to get rid of the oil, I'd like to know, and I'm also wondering if it will hurt my fish

if it was vegetable its prolly fine because its all natural i believe. try running carbon in your filter to get rid of the discoloration of the water.

Welcome to AA, Yodlem!!! :smilecolros:

At least it wasn't detergent or other household chemicals. Over time, water changes will remove the vegetable oil.

Your post serves as a reminder to rinse things extensively before putting them in the tank. Dedicating containers, buckets, and implements for exclusive aquarium use prevents this sort of thing from happening.

The oil should float. You could syphon it off from there, or use a paper towel to gently blot it from the surface of the water.

Use a small container and dip water out off the surface. The only possible thing that might be worth mentioning, is oil on the surface could disrupt the O2 exchange off the surface, possibly lowering the O2 level in the tank. But it all depends on how much is on the surface as well. I'd try and get some of it out if possible.

Back
Top Bottom