Is it better to change your tank water 15% a week or 30% once every two weeks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicki Gaga

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering which is better for the fish. I would like to get my neon tetras to breed so which method is better?

Water Changes

Just wondering which is better for the fish. I would like to get my neon tetras to breed so which method is better?

Hello Nick...

There's no secret to a healthy tank. You just need to maintain pure water conditions all the time. You do that by constantly removing the dissolved wastes from the tank.

The more water you change and the more often you change it the healthier the fish and plants.

I keep several larger tanks and change half or more of the tank water at least every two weeks, more often if there's time.

You should change half the water a couple of times a week for small tanks. Medium sized tanks, half the water weekly. The larger tanks can generally go a couple of weeks between large water changes. I try not to let them go that long.

You're the "Head Waterkeeper". It's your decision.

B

Yes I agree with you it's a lot better to do water changes a couple of times a week, then just once but that's my opinion and the way I do it I've got multiple tanks all different sizes, I ve got my cory catfish breeding this way when I was doing weekly changes they never bred, so I guess the water quality must be a lot better

Sent from my fish phone

15% is kind of on the small side. I do weekly 25-35 in my big tanks and 50% in my tens! and that's with a bucket in an apt. If you kept bare bottom tanks you would see how fast poo builds up and grows colonies on the bottom of the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

15% is kind of on the small side. I do weekly 25-35 in my big tanks and 50% in my tens! and that's with a bucket in an apt. If you kept bare bottom tanks you would see how fast poo builds up and grows colonies on the bottom of the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes it's surprising how much builds up on the bare bottom tank in a few days, I do 30% 2 times a week, unless there's a problem in the tank then atleast 50% gets changed, the bucket one is very annoying, but all worth it in the end

Sent from my fish phone

So you're saying that when you did couple water changes a week, your cories bred more often? Or did you mean when you did once a week?

15% is kind of on the small side.

It depends on the stocking and the size of the tank but, for most tanks, this is probably true. For a 20 gallon or larger tank that isn't overstocked, 20-25% per week is a decent rule of thumb.

I've typically done 20% changes in my 29 gallon, but will likely be moving to 2 x 15% changes per week. I treat and heat my water in a bucket overnight, and it's a lot easier to do that with smaller volumes.

So you're saying that when you did couple water changes a week, your cories bred more often? Or did you mean when you did once a week?

When I did it once a week they didn't lay eggs or anything as soon as I started doing 2 a week they started laying them regularly every month,

The fact that they are Laying regularly told me that the 2 water changes a week was obviously better for them, and keeping the water fresher, it never smelt or had high readings when I did it once a week, but as I do all the others twice I thought I'd do the same with them, does that make more sense

Sent from my fish phone

Your test kit holds the answer for this.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your test kit holds the answer for this.

I agree with this 100%. How much water you need to change depends on what you desire your water quality to be and how heavily stocked your tanks are. There is no magic correct amount for water changes. If you don't want to test I would recommend changing 50% per week to be on the safe side unless your tank is heavily overstocked.

That being said, I don't do water changes more often than weekly. Unless you really enjoy water changes it is a lot easier to bigger water changes on a weekly basis than small changes twice a week.

Hey Nicki,

Ive noticed a lot (if not all) of questions you post have to do with your desire to breed Neon Tetras. Have you considered posting in the "Breeding" section of the forums? This way you have a better chance of getting advice from people with experience breeding fish... specifically Neon Tetras if you're lucky.

You're going to get lots of opinions in "General Discussion" on how, when, and how much water to change. Will any of it help you breed Neon Tetras? Unless the person giving you the advice specifically says "I am a successful breeder of Neon Tetras and this is my PWC regime" then I wouldn't rely on any of it to specifially help you breed Neon Tetras. What works for breeding one type of fish may not matter to another type of fish.

So, under "Freshwater & Brackish" there is a subcategory labeled "Breeding". Try posting your questions about breeding Neon Tetras there. Good luck.

^^^^^^^ Good idea, you will target the right people on there to help you more, good luck

Sent from my fish phone

So my tank is 24 gallons and it's VERY overstocked. So how much should I change and how often would you recommend?

So my tank is 24 gallons and it's VERY overstocked. So how much should I change and how often would you recommend?

Nicki, it's tough to answer that question without more information like - exactly what fish you have, and what filtration. But the true answer is - water changes will not solve your overstocking problem. Getting rid of fish will. Or - getting a bigger tank, maybe :)

Overstocking is not just a problem because of water quality - it's stressful for the fish as well (of course, depending on what fish they are).

Water Changes

Hello again Nick...

My tanks are heavily stocked too. The water changes will remove the dissolved wastes the fish and plants leave in the tank water. The larger the water change the more waste is removed. The cleaner the environment. Just like in nature, there's a constant flow of pure water.

The water change also puts back important minerals for the plants and fish. The minerals are removed over time from the constant work of your filter.

I've always changed a lot of tank water. So often, that I never need to test it. I always know it's free of toxic wastes like ammonia and nitrite, but also has a healthy mineral level.

Change half or even more of the water weekly and your fish and plants will be fine.

B

I agree with this 100%. How much water you need to change depends on what you desire your water quality to be and how heavily stocked your tanks are. There is no magic correct amount for water changes. If you don't want to test I would recommend changing 50% per week to be on the safe side unless your tank is heavily overstocked.

That being said, I don't do water changes more often than weekly. Unless you really enjoy water changes it is a lot easier to bigger water changes on a weekly basis than small changes twice a week.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom