Is it just me or are my fish less colorful in the morning??!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eli47

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a newbie and have 2 tetras, one neon, one I don't know. What is the purpose of turning off their light at night? I mean, do they sleep when it's dark, or just whenever? The neon especially seems grayish in the morning but after a few minutes brightens up. thanks!

Thats normal, fish tend to sleep/rest or something of the sort, I think they lose the color to stand out less so they are less attractive to predators at night?

Yes they should color up in a short amount of time when the lights come on.

Thank you! Do you know how to upload photos of my tank? I want someone to tell me what this other tetra is. I adopted him when the family moved and left him.

How to upload your pics to post on AA:

1. When making a post, click on the paperclip icon on the editing toolbar.
  2. A window will pop-up titled "Managing Attachments."
  3. Where it says "Upload File from your Computer", click on "Browse."
  4. Browse through your folders to find the picture you want to attach.
  5. Add as many as you need.
  6. When you're done adding and browsing, click on "Upload."
  7. Close the window when it's done uploading.
  8. Click on the paperclip icon again and a menu will drop down.
  9. Click on the pictures you want to add to your post.
  10. You'll then see the code "Attach" wrapped around a number.
  11. Click on "Preview Post" next to "Submit Reply" to see how your picture will look before you click on submit.

That's it! Go crazy and post lots of pics of your tank!

Don't worry, I have 2 neons in my tank too. They always do that, their colors look a little paler and they are a little sluggish. But after a few minutes they are colorful and zip around like lightning. :)

yep good advice was giving here. in the morning all fish tend to be a bit more dull, hiding from predators and the darkness doesn't highlight their color or (melanin)

The most striking color changes in my tank are the neons and also my yellow lab cichlids.
when I turn on the light in the morning they are very dull, after about 15 minutes and a feeding they brighten right up just like turning on a lightbulb.
Very fascinating.

my boesmani rainbows used to be prime examples of this as well. I no longer have them but the blue would really color up within 30 minutes of the lights...

Back
Top Bottom