Is it me or is my tank slowly leaking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hiram1982

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so I've got a 55 gal. glass aquarium. It's setup with freshwater and gravel. I noticed that the water level in my tank was dropping slowly than I expected. I checked the stand and yup its slowly leaking. My problem is the stand isn't metal, it's what I call compressed board, if you know what I mean by that. In other words the water that is leaking from my tank is being absorbed by my stand. Now I am new to a tank this large so I'm not sure what to think. I really don't think this is normal though. My question is what should I do about this, if anything. I have seen sealant just for glass fich tank and I was wondering if this is a good idea. Help me out guys. Thanks in advance.

I would get that tank off there as soon as you can, if I was you.
Pressed board like that looses ALL it's strength when it gets wet.
You're liable to find your tank on the floor if you don't.
You'll have to empty out the tank and re-seal it if you want to save things.
Depending on how many fish you have, you might want to get the biggest "Tupperware" tub you can find and transfer the fish into it, clean it first of course.
Transfer your heater and filter into it and treat it as your temporary aquarium then you can empty the 55 and re-seal it with RTV silicone.
Do a search on-line and I'm sure you can come up with lots of info on re-sealing.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Rick

I only have two fish in there right now, so this sounds like a good idea. Having never done this before is this a fairly easy process?

Is which an easy process?
Moving the fish into a big plastic tub is the same as setting up a new aquarium, just be sure to use most of the water from the old tank and the same filter, don't change the medium, and that should be just fine.

Re-sealing is pretty easy too, once the tank is completely empty and very dry.
You'll need a razor knife, the ones with the snap off blades, ya know? The ones that cut really fast and really deep? Don't ask!
You cut out all the excess old silicone without cutting into the material inside the joint.
Then it's a matter of running a bead of new stuff along the joints, one at a time, and smoothing it out.
Get the silicone, caulking gun, and knife from your local hardware type store, just make sure the caulk is clear and aquarium safe. I"m sure that it is RTV but check with your LFS to be sure.
When you run a small bead along the joint, about 1/8 inch, you can smooth it out with a wet finger. Do the bottom first, gets covered with gravel, so you get in practise and get good before you do the sides that everybody sees.
Do a search for re-sealing a tank or post the question on ask.com and I'm sure you'll be able to do a fine job.
After the week-end, I'll bet there are a lot of answers right here too.

Rick

never had the problem myself but i have heard some people find it easy and some have to do it over again because there repair did not hold how old is this tank and were did you buy it did you buy it new i noticed you siad you was new to a tank that large.

Be sure to clean the area where you would apply glue. silicone does not glue well on dirt. You might have to redo the whole scraping work(I recommend a razor blade instead of knife) again. Don't forget to test the tank well before adding fish.

i agree with ghostknife check and make sure that it is acualy a leak i noticed the other day that my floor was wet and that i was loosing water faster then usual and i found that for some reason water is now getting on the lip of the cover in my filter and was rinning along the side and fallowing a cord to the floor you may just be having the same problem.

well i hope this is all it is if not good luck with resealing :)

if your filter is clogged the water might find it's way out on the wrong side of the tank. just happened to me.

also if you do have to reseal use a dry finger to smooth silicone not a wet one.

Hiram
I agree with using a single edge razor blade. Buy one with a holder that would be safer and easier to control.
I have made tanks before and I find it's easier to make a clean rounded seal if you use masking tape about 1/2" from the glass joint. It's kind of messy when you round the bead with your finger and the tape will help make a cleaner looking seam.
Also a clean DRY surface is necessary in order for the RTV to stick.
The hard part is getting the old sealant removed.
Good luck
Charles

Okay so I've got a 55 gal. glass aquarium. It's setup with freshwater and gravel. I noticed that the water level in my tank was dropping slowly than I expected. I checked the stand and yup its slowly leaking. My problem is the stand isn't metal, it's what I call compressed board, if you know what I mean by that. In other words the water that is leaking from my tank is being absorbed by my stand. Now I am new to a tank this large so I'm not sure what to think. I really don't think this is normal though. My question is what should I do about this, if anything. I have seen sealant just for glass fich tank and I was wondering if this is a good idea. Help me out guys. Thanks in advance.
Hiram
I just re-caulked my 44 gallon pentagon not because of leaks but because all of the caulking turned nicotine brown from being in my pops apartment for ten years. My advice is to you is buy a lot of single edged razor blades and a good holder (I picked up a good razor Holder at the auto supply store used for removing old windshield registration stickers). After the tank is empty and dry remove all of the caulking inside the tank (frequently changing the blade), you will be surprised how quickly they dull. Even when you think you got it all go over it again (New caulking doesn't adhere to old caulking), the use denatured alcohol and clean all of the seems at least 2 inches in on both sides, then tape off the tank leaving about 1/4 to 3/8's of an inch on each side of every seem (Use blue painters tape). Before caulking (Aquarium Safe) have a bucket filled with very warm soapy water, a roll of paper towels and a lined garbage pail. Apply caulking all the way around the inside of tank, when done use your finger to press in and smooth out of the caulking (Make sure there are no air bubbles in the caulking as this can cause a leak down the road), use a paper towel to wipe the excess caulking off of your finger and throw away it in your lined garbage pail (do not try to get an extra use out of your sheet of paper towel this will only lead to a bigger mess, throw it out.). After all of the excess has been removed you can now put your fingers you are using into the very warm soapy water then go over the caulk lines again (this make the seems really smooth). You're not done yet, now carefully remove all of the tape you applied earlier and throw it away, let caulking cure for 24 hrs then fill it out side if you can and let it sit for a couple of hours while periodically checking it to make sure it isn't leaking. If all is OK then empty the tank, clean it out (I used a combination of warm water and white vinegar then used aquarium wipes for the final pass. Good luck, everything should go fine if you take your time.

I used to work in the glass + window business as a trades assistant. This sounds almost exactly like half of what my job was :)

Back
Top Bottom