Is it normal for Cardinal tetras to be swimming in a group?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trioracles

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've seen you tube videos and these neon or Cardinal tetras are swimming all over the place and not in a group. Mine are swimming in a group. Since they're schooling fish grouping is normal right? So is scattering not normal or the total opposite? Thanks!

080215 Yopoipoi, rest in peace. May the river of light guide your soul to the celestial waters above.

Like any schooling fish, they will huddle in a group of they do not feel secure.

If they are free roaming the tank they feel comfortable with their environment

Caleb

My neons will do a bit of both. Completely normal!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

@coolguy thx in advance for answering my questions. I think almost every question I posted u answered everyone of them haha

How do I make them feel more comfortable? The only other fish I have with them is my betta but he doesn't chase them or anything . He sometimes gets a little curious then heads towards them but then swims away.

080215 Yopoipoi, rest in peace. May the river of light guide your soul to the celestial waters above.

You could try putting more hiding places in the tank

Fishes usually swim together when there is a predator around safety in numbers

Cardinals don't like bright light. If you notice them dispersing more when the aquarium lights are off, you might want to consider dimming the tank a little.

If your tank is lacking in plants, more of those will help as well.

Yes, it's called a School. These kind of fish are schooling fish. The more you have the cooler it looks.

Agree with all the above. My cardinals, 15, hang around loosely but don't school in the strictest sense, ie, they don't mirror each other's movement. They need plenty of cover, plants are ideal, and they will come out when they are feeling secure. All of my tetras schooled when first introduced to the tank but stopped after about a week. Now they sort of keep in loose groups. At feeding time they all completely mix up, it's a frenzy and great to watch. The tank has loads of plants and I think this is the key.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you all!

I've seen you tube videos and these neon or Cardinal tetras are swimming all over the place and not in a group. Mine are swimming in a group. Since they're schooling fish grouping is normal right? So is scattering not normal or the total opposite? Thanks!

Mine do both, most of the time 3-4 of my 6 will stay together while a few lenders go and do their own thing. Completely normal.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

They're probably fine. My tetras hang together sometimes and sometimes not. I don't think it's entirely about being afraid, sometimes they seem to be playing.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

JSYK, cardinals, neons, and green neons are all in the same genus. And despite what a ton of people say, IMO they are all the same difficulty to keep. Green neons need a super precise water chemistry range but are pretty hard to kill and stress once you give them the right water. Neons are the most accepting of different water ranges but are super frail and delicate. Cardinals need a certain range of water but are not as delicate as neons. Just IMO off personal experience.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Back
Top Bottom