Is it possible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I was wondering if anyone thinks it is possible to set up a tank and do no maintenance at all and still have perfect water conditions.. If not how long do u think u could go

maitenance as in water changes? Or like cleaning algea off the walls?

If you had absolutely no fish you could. But even then you'd have to top off from evaporation and clean algae.

it would be possible to a point. the only thing would be minerals staying in the water as it evaporated. you would get a build up of minerals and the only way to get them out would be a PWC. you can have a lot of plants and a smallish number of fish and nitrates won't be an issue.

Gboy66 said:
maitenance as in water changes? Or like cleaning algea off the walls?

The only thing is adding water through evaporation that's it

The reason I posted this was to get peoples point of view...6 months ago I decided to try something (don't worry I watched my levels very well) but I haven't done anything to my tank and my levels are still amazing....here is my stock.
9 rummy nose tetras
6 bleeding heart tetras
5 peppered cory
2 farlowella cats
2 flying foxes
2 kribs(breeding pair)
1 dwarf gourami
1 apple snail
30+rcs
2 amano shrimp
My plants and substrate is
Sand with a mix of river rock
Lot of java moss
Lots of purple cabomba
Crypto spiralis
Onion plant
Red melon sword
Lilly pads
Now the only thing I've done is add seachem comprehensive flourish and have added water when it got below an inch and my levels have stayed at
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20
And my water is amazingly clear still too

The problem you might run into is called Old Tank Syndrome. Basically it's a large amount of TDS (total dissolved solids) that happens when water changes aren't performed. TDS meters are cheap, it'd be worth it to get one and test to see what it's looking like.

If you did a large WC on a tank with a large amount of TDS, the fish could have TDS shock and die from it, so it's pretty serious.

As far as having a no maintenance tank, sure, a well planted tank with a continuous drip water change system would be perfect.

Dale_I said:
Are you running any filtration? I see you have a couple aquaclears...

I need to up date my profile I'm now running a rena xp3 on my 55g

jetajockey said:
The problem you might run into is called Old Tank Syndrome. Basically it's a large amount of TDS (total dissolved solids) that happens when water changes aren't performed. TDS meters are cheap, it'd be worth it to get one and test to see what it's looking like.

If you did a large WC on a tank with a large amount of TDS, the fish could have TDS shock and die from it, so it's pretty serious.

As far as having a no maintenance tank, sure, a well planted tank with a continuous drip water change system would be perfect.

I've studied this before I started ots is more for just fish tanks like gold fish and cichlids where u can't add plants its really hard to get ots with a heavily planted tank and if u fall into ots then little pwc every couple of days like 10% over a couple weeks can solve ur problem

Back
Top Bottom