Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2005, 04:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is it possible to "slightly" overstock your tank?

I've heard that with the right maintenance, you can actually *slightly* overstock your tank. Is this true? Any suggestions?

Old 05-02-2005, 04:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to shannen Send a message via Yahoo to shannen
Yes this is true, but it is not advised for beginners to try. Also adding some floating stem type plants like hornwort will help with nitrates. This doesn't mean you can skimp on the water changes, but it does help with the quality of the water.

What exactly are you thinking of trying?

75 Gal Planted Community
90 Gal 1 Royal plec, 1 Rope fish, 1 clown plec, 2 severums, 6 lemon tetras
5-10 gals, 15 gal, 20 gal Guppies.

Brackish
10 Gal, Figure 8 puffers, bumble bee gobies, white cheek gobies
29 Gal, Three Spine Stone Fish (see avatar)
shannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:43 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
I agree with shannen. It is possible, but not advised for people starting out.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, right now in my tank, I have the following:

2 dwarf frogs (although right now I can only find 1)
1 clown loach (he's small, I trade in when he gets bigger)
1 pleco (same as the loach)
1 cardinal tetra (long story)
5 neon tetras
3 sissortail tetras
7 cory's
1 platy

This is a 29 gallon tank, and a lot of people would probably say the tank is ALREADY overstocked. Thought of moving maybe 2 of the cory's and the platy to another tank, but not sure. I like the fish in it, and wouldn't mind adding a few more possibly, like some serpae or red eye tetras. Maybe a black/red tipped shark(don't remember the name of these), or possibly something else, I don't know. Just like having the option. Just how much of overstocking is ok? Also, as long as your tank is healthy, and the fish are added slowly, along w/weekly water changes, what's the hard thing about it?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Id say you're fine with regular pwc's and good water conditions of coure. You have about 25 inches of fish or so in a 29 gal tank so you are within the rubrick. Give hiding spaces and alot of decor and they should be fine. THis way the less aggresive fish can get away.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 11:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, look at me. I look at my tank, and it is rather busy and there are lots of fish in it. I am somewhere near but under the 1 inch per gallon thing. But I am sure my fish think that 1 inch per gal thing is rubbish, they feel crowded. I could add another school of something and my water would stay perfect, because i water change A LOT. I water change so much its as if i have a tank twice as large But I am fighting the urge to add more fish, because I think crowding, even though the tank and water is well maintained, is to be avoided. I have successfuly avoided every single LFS for a month.

So, can it be done? the real question is should it be done. And I am certain that I will go against everything I have just said next time I do go into the LFS.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK2
I could add another school of something and my water would stay perfect, because i water change A LOT. I water change so much its as if i have a tank twice as large .

I have a question about this...I water change once a week, not quite 5 gallons in a 29 gallon tank. I was curious about doing water changes more, and someone told me that frequent water changes can be almost as bad as NO water changes. Can you give me some guidance on this one?
Old 05-03-2005, 03:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think most people will agree that frequent changes are MUCH better - as long as you do them right. Water changes should have no chlorine and should not alter temperature or PH.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cleaning the gravel, glass, decor, and filter too often is not a good idea. Changing out the water isn't as bad as long as you do it in small increments. For example, if you wanted to do 3 water changes a week, do about 10% each time. Too large of a water change could send fish into shock.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:17 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well my 20 gallon is overstocked by a fair bit, 3 Angels all just bigger than quarter size, 1 Pleco about 4", 9 Neons, 5 Flame Tetras and 1 Otocinclus Cat. The tank is fairly heavily planted and doing fantastically, I do a 50%+ PWC every week and vastly overfilter. I am using an Emperor 400 on the tank, which takes up most of the tanks length.

That said I will be moving all my fish into a 55 gallon at the end of the week. But with enough water changes and excellent filtration you can certainly overstock a little, you just need to be more careful.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:57 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

It also depends on the amount of swimming space that the fish have. If you have a fish that requires lots of swimming space, it certainly can't go into a 5 gal tank. It would be like putting a full grown Arowana into a 55 gal tank. Sure, it's well below the 1 inch per gal rule, BUT, the swimming space that they need far exceedes the 55 gal tank.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:57 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I do between a 20 and 40 percent water change three times a week. I have nitrates at 5ppm or less. I only do this because I have set up a holding tank and plumbing with pumps, so its just a matter of flip switch for water out, flip switch for water in, and then refill the holding tank. The holding tank is heated to tank temp, and aerated to remove chlorine. I hate water changes, so I set this system up so they would be effortless. Now I like to do them. I think the fish are doing great. The pH has been steady, the nitrates low. Excellent clarity with very little algae.

I don't see how I could be doing any harm, but conversely think I am doing good. If I didn't have the effortless plumbing, once a week would be torture for me.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:15 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I have seen very noticeable improvements in the long-term health of my tanks since years ago I started doing frequent PWC's. Now I do 50% once a week on all tanks, large and small, but if I had the time I'd do 20% or so three times a week, like Tom.

Water changes can definitely shock fish in a tank that has not had a frequent water change schedule - so if you want to increase your maintenance do it very gradually.

Like an old friend used to say "fish like water best."
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm a big fan of PWC's also. I started doing a 50% weekly schedule (Monday mornings) 6 months ago and I really noticed increased colors and a general increase in health with my fish. Also, my water chemistry is always good. I haul alot of water across my house, but it's well worth it.

75 gal :
6 Assorted Cory Cats
6 Pristella Tetras
5 Plattys (blue)
4 Kribensis
2 Australian Rainbows
2 Silver Hatchet fish

Click here and vote for AA!
Hooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Burna, I think you got your answer. Slightly overstocking your tank will stress your fish more than if not, it will cause diseases more than if not, and you will lose fish more than if not. Yet we all are still tempted to do it. It is hard to exercise self control especially when you just found that "new" fish that you want and are dying to have it. Just remember that your fish in your tank are dying to have it too.
Aim for keeping it understocked, that way you leave yourself some options and some room. If you do this, you will ineveitably end up overstocked but probably only by a little.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, overstock, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com