Is it rare for a freshwater tank to have a sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the biggest reason you don't see as many FW setups with sumps is that there are so many other viable options for FW as far as filtration goes. Most folks would rather just buy a canister rather than set up the sump. IMO, a sump is a great idea for a FW setup. You have all the advantages in FW that you get in SW...greater water volume...constant water level in main tank...place to put heater and other equip which makes the main tank look cleaner...easy place to dose any additives... I wouldn't hesitate at all to set up a FW that way. There are many different options for biofiltration also. I think I would be inclined to try some of the cellpore products if I was doing it.
Logan J

I think there needs to be a clear understanding that there is a difference between a "sump" and a "wet/dry".

A sump is by the very nature of itself a reservoir for storing water. Any tank that has built-in overflows (non closed system) should have a sump.

A wet/dry is a very different thing. It is a vital part of the biological filtration for your tank.

The two should not be used as the same terminology.

As for the question at hand. Unless you have a reason for draining water out of your FW tank, setting up an overflow for the sole purpose of a sump would be illogical.

A wet/dry is a very different thing. It is a vital part of the biological filtration for your tank.

The two should not be used as the same terminology

Most filters, either hang on, or cannister are not wet/dry, a few cannisters are exceptions to this, as are bio-wheels.
As for the question at hand. Unless you have a reason for draining water out of your FW tank, setting up an overflow for the sole purpose of a sump would be illogical.

The question at hand is
Is it rare for a freshwater tank to have a sump?

And I believe the answer would be, Not really common, but not rare either.

My 45 gallon tank is set up with an overflow, wet dry, sump.

I said:
I have a 125g freshwater setup with a sump..

you said

righton - I have a sump AND a wet-dry (one unit) hooked up to my 125g. Love it or flame it, I'm using one of those Tidepool2 biowheel/sump systems.. It says it's rated at 600gph, but I don't know what particular attribute of the very large bio-wheel, 3 media trays and the 10g sump make it "600gph" - to me the GPH rate would be a factor of overflow capacity and pump capacity -both of which in my system are 1200gph.. I have no problems with it setup like this.

anyway, perhaps I strayed a bit off topic..

True, a sump doesn't have to be a wet/dry, but a wet/dry is usually a sump (possibly with the exception of a hang-on wet/dry).

As LoganJ said, there are many excellent reasons for having a sump. Having kept reef tanks for the last 7 years, I wouldn't think about keeping a SW or FW tank without a sump. Currently, I'm setting up a 75 gal FW tank with an Aquaclear 150 sump/wetdry (15 gal). I'm using Bioballs for biological filtration.

I'm using one of those Tidepool2 biowheel/sump systems..
SO am I. I think that The wet/dry/biowheel/sump combo is necessary in a large FW tank just as in a SW tank it makes for happy fish :D

Back
Top Bottom