Is it safe??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have cory catfish 5 ,zebra danio 8, 1platy , 1 dwarf honey sunset gourami , 2 male fancy guppy, and 7 female guppy plus thier fry in. 29gal an they get along great
Cory cat are cute bottom feeders I have 2 Julii and 3 peppered .

I have cory catfish 5 ,zebra danio 8, 1platy , 1 dwarf honey sunset gourami , 2 male fancy guppy, and 7 female guppy plus thier fry in. 29gal an they get along great Cory cat are cute bottom feeders I have 2 Julii and 3 peppered .

But for what I'm doing is guppies ok

I wouldn't chane the substrate often unless you have a quarantine tank I put fish in while display tank goes through mini cycle from that. Otherwise you can just change decorations and not substrate

I think a good compromise would be for you to Choose a gravel that will match any holiday decorations (white or black).
When you change the tank for holidays just switch out the decor, but not the gravel.
You will not even need to buy new fish to do this!

Pool filter sand is what a lot of people use. It is cheap and can be bought at most hardware stores or pool places. The color is a natural beach sand look. Or if you want pure white sand you have to get it from a pet place. For black sand you can use Black Diamond blasting grit which you get at hardware stores. Get the one that says coal slag. To rinse it you just pour some in a bucket about halfway full then use a water hose. Hold the water hose under the sand and spray. Tilt the bucket a little and the dirt and impurities will wash out of the bucket. Keep rinsing until the water stays clear. Doesn't take too long doing it that way. The black would show off colors nicely. You could add marbles in holiday colors on top of it to change it for the holidays. Or different glass stones and decor.

Pool filter sand is what a lot of people use. It is cheap and can be bought at most hardware stores or pool places. The color is a natural beach sand look. Or if you want pure white sand you have to get it from a pet place. For black sand you can use Black Diamond blasting grit which you get at hardware stores. Get the one that says coal slag. To rinse it you just pour some in a bucket about halfway full then use a water hose. Hold the water hose under the sand and spray. Tilt the bucket a little and the dirt and impurities will wash out of the bucket. Keep rinsing until the water stays clear. Doesn't take too long doing it that way. The black would show off colors nicely. You could add marbles in holiday colors on top of it to change it for the holidays. Or different glass stones and decor.

On tanked all they do is poor it in. So il glad you told me how to clean it.

Back
Top Bottom