Is it true schooling reduce aggressiveness in tiger barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemou

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've heard a school of 6 or more will make tiger barbs behave. Is this always true? Do the nature of their behavior change completely or occasionally their aggressiveness would win over coolness and start chasing others?

Also I've heard the schooling number needs to be an odd numbe for this to work. How true is this? Or is it the more the better?

I have 2 tiger barbs now but I want to add peaceful community fish soon.

THANKS!

I've heard conflicting stories. The general assumption is that with a school, that the barbs will pick on each other instead of other fishies in your tank. I've had people whose single barb was horrible, some whose were great. All depends on the agressiveness of the specifice barbs I believe...

I have, over the years, noticed that barbs will do better in odd schools. I would keep at least 5. Like everything else in aquariums, there are exceptions. You may get that one barb that is a spawn of satan and will not behave no matter what you do. Most of the time though, the odd schools will reduce agressiveness. Barbs should still only be kept with fish that can handle their behaviour. No angels, bettas, ect...

Probably like Turtles says with each individual fish having its own temperament, like Male Bettas. A bigger school would spread the aggression around though, but I still wouldn't trust them with fish that had long finnage (Betta) since I guess it's their nature to nip.

Back
Top Bottom