Is it worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CcJ23

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've really wanted some Rams for a while, but I've been wanting Electric German Blues but I see an add on craigslist for a 6 month old pair of Long Fin Standard Germans Blues for $10. Is it worth it? I haven't had rams before, I just like how they Electrics look like Christmas lights. I don't think I can put two pairs in the same tank right?

If they are paired you could. Are you looking to breed them or what? Tank size? That price isn't too bad. I got 2 for $15 each..but we never have any where I live.

If they are paired you could. Are you looking to breed them or what? Tank size? That price isn't too bad. I got 2 for $15 each..but we never have any where I live.

Eventually I would like to try breeding them. I have a 55 gallon, and a 20 gallon high if they need to be seperated or breeding. Finding them around here isn't too easy, and this is a great value, especially for a pair. What age is breeding age? Also, how much do a pair of electrics go for? Thanks

That is a good price. The price on EBR's varies depending on where you get them from. I have kept rams for a long time and have found keeping only one pair in a tank is the best if you want a chance at sucessful spawning (which can take a few tries before they get it right). I would only keep 2 pairs in the same tank if it was very large. The thing about ram pairs is the older and more mature they get the more aggressive they get, which can lead to problems when there are multiple pairs. I only keep 2 pairs in a 100% planted 220g tank and still have ocassional aggression between pairs.

That is a good price. The price on EBR's varies depending on where you get them from. I have kept rams for a long time and have found keeping only one pair in a tank is the best if you want a chance at sucessful spawning (which can take a few tries before they get it right). I would only keep 2 pairs in the same tank if it was very large. The thing about ram pairs is the older and more mature they get the more aggressive they get, which can lead to problems when there are multiple pairs. I only keep 2 pairs in a 100% planted 220g tank and still have ocassional aggression between pairs.

Thank you, that's very helpful. In your opinion, is it worth waiting for EBR's? Or are they not that special? I've heard you are the "Queen" around here!

Honestly I'd do the pair. I love the hi fins best. You may have to order EBR's as they are harder to find and IMO they are slightly more delicate unless you get them from a good breeder.

I would stick with the pair of long fin blues as well. As already stated, the electric blues are a bit tougher to keep than regular or German blues. They can run upwards of $30 each as well. Besides, once the other guys get comfortable in your tank, you will see how nice they color up, which is much nicer than what you are seeing now. When my German blue settled in my 29, I was really, REALLY impressed with the colors. Much nicer than I had anticipated.

Not sure about electrics..I would think the same. And they can breed I think around 6 months of age if I recall. And they will get aggressive then. Are they confirmed pairs? Cuz some might say they even if they're not..they pair as juvies but can still pair with others too. They also only live about 3 years and lay 200-300 eggs..sometimes even close to 500.

I think I would go for it. I have Bolivian rams I am hoping that they pair up, but I paid $5.99 a piece for them. For electric blue's I think that's a really good price.

That price is for regular blues. And yes, make sure they are a true pair before you buy.

Thank you! I think I'm going to meet her half way to get them. I will have to take her word for it. I think she has a third ram, a male, that these two keep away. Hopefully all goes well!

Keep us posted. You won't be disappointed with these guys.

Glued to each to eachother sides, rubbing bodies, staring at eachother.

I got lucky and thought I had a pair..they were inseperatable..then the male became aggressive and chased her all the time and cowarded in every corner and on the substrate. I left for vacation and not sure how they are now..hope they worked things out.

Back
Top Bottom