is marble aquarium safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
just what the question says. i have a few big sheets of marble in my backyard that i was gonna break up and make caves out of using silicone and i was wondering if it is aquarium safe? i have neevr seen it at pet shops but that is probable because it is soo damn expensive. i am pretty sure that it is safe but i wanted some other opinions before i do it. thanks in advance

I used sections of marble in the aquarium. I bleached it and scrubbed it clean, then rinsed and rinsed and rinsed it.

the marble i have is clean thats not my issue i was just making sure that it isnt a rock that has certain chemicals already in it that will leach out into the water. but thanks for the advice

Marble should be perfectly fine, its not really porous or anything. You can always test it with vinegar to see if it bubbles.

thankyou guys i was thinknig the same thing about the fact that it isnt very porus so what could really be in it? i will post a pic one i get everything set up. it should look neat with lava rock and marble. high contrast it will really stand out.

while your at it send me some of that marble.. LOL

just kidding of course, shipping would be a killer :mrgreen: can't wait to see pics!

I used marble slabs in my tanks, one precautionary statement, be sure to watch the weight and distribute it evenly.

The only thing I would be concerned about is it slowly raising the hardness and pH. Marble is a metamorphic stone made up mostly of crystalized calcium carbonate (limestone). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble
I'm honestly not sure if it would affect the water chemistry the same way limestone would. Any geologists out there?

i dont think i need to worry about the water getting hard becasue i am putting cichlids in there anyway. thanks for the concern though. and thanks for all the positve feed back i was really hopin that i could use the marble because i hate paying for rocks. i am dying to set up the tank but i wont be finished making my stand till wednesday because of the drying times for the stain and sealant i will post a pic of it when i just start and keep people updated on it as i add fish and other rock structures. do you think a new penguin 350 with the biowheels will be enough filtration in this tank it will probably have about 10-15 cichlids in it. i will be putting in demasoni and labs so they wont get as big as some cichlids. i bought some real nice black sand to go in it so the marble will really stand out. maybe i should get a power head to circulate the water better? or a small internal filter?

55 gallon. it is 4' x 12" x 21" roughly. it is soooo long. its going in my room with my other 3 aquariums. i actually have to take one down in order to set this one up i am sooo mad. but i guess 5 tanks in a small bedroom isnt always a good idea lol. the only reason i wanted to put a power head or something in because i cant put the filter dead center so it might not filter evenly and by adding water movement i am more likely to filter all the water more efficiently.

The biowheels will do a pretty good job. Might want to get a small powerhead on the other end of the tank to give a little more circulation, but the Penguin 350 will be plenty filtration IMO.

Do you have the filter already? If not, might want to look at the Emperor 400 as an alternative as well, or a cannister filter, such as Filstar XP2, a Cascade, or a Fluval.

Back
Top Bottom