Is my child dangerous to his new pet fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yolanda504

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new to this site. I just bought my 6-year-old autistic son a crown-tailed Betta for his birthday. They said at the pet store most fish die of stress. This is troubling me because now I'm not sure if the things my son is doing or might do are dangerous to the fish. The small desktop aquarium is on the same table where my son sits for meals and drawing, etc. Today he put his iPad with videos playing behind the tank (I guess to see it through the water), and I had a fit! I'm more worried about keeping this fish alive than I ever was about my son, which is odd!?
How much noise, vibration, and unexpected distractions are too much? Thank you!

My youngest son who has Down syndrome has banged on the glass, fed them a peanut butter sandwich, dropped marbles in, tried to grab them by putting his hands in the tank, and yet I've never lost a fish related to this. Bettas are pretty hardy, I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot. Just make sure the betta has some rest periods without any over stimulation, and he should be fine.
Most stress fish die from is related to water parameters, shipping, or major shock (loss of heater, filter failure, etc.) in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also, depending where he is on the spectrum and his personal preferences, you may be able to have him help you with keeping track of water changes, parameter tests, feeding regimen, and more.

Thank you!

My youngest son who has Down syndrome has banged on the glass, fed them a peanut butter sandwich, dropped marbles in, tried to grab them by putting his hands in the tank, and yet I've never lost a fish related to this. Bettas are pretty hardy, I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot. Just make sure the betta has some rest periods without any over stimulation, and he should be fine.
Most stress fish die from is related to water parameters, shipping, or major shock (loss of heater, filter failure, etc.) in my experience.

I'm not sure if this is how to reply to a response, but thank you! I can't tell you how much this has set my mind at ease.

I am a special education teacher and work with many students that are on the spectrum. I have been considering starting an after school fish-keeping program. Not knowing your child, I have a feeling that once he knows the rules about how to interact/enjoy the fish, he will stick to them. Just do your best to establish the expected behaviors surrounding the fish. Also, I think it was a great idea to suggest getting him involved in the upkeep/care for the fish.

Good luck!

I'd be more concerned about him putting the ipad into the tank.

When you let him feed the fish just give him the correct amount of food in a little cup like a medicine cup to dump in.

I had a Betta at a preschool where the cleaning crew bummped his container, off a desk, (it was supposed to be kept on a tall cubby but someone forgot to put him away). He crashed onto the floor and the crew got him out and put him in a well used crayon plastic container after dumping out the crayons - in tap water and he lived through all that. Poor guy. He was healthy to begin with though.

Great pet. Just watch with caution. Kids are pretty crazy (and dangerous to pet fish in general) and need supervision even when they don't have difficulty in understanding the needs of a fish.

The most particular issue for the fish is that the cycle be established for him. If you need some info about keeping fish as a pet check out my signature line where there are many critical bits of info.

If you don't have a filter, a larger tank -about 2 gallons minimum to 5 gallons would be preferred as the water can foul quickly in smaller tanks /bowl causing illness and or death. Please use water treatment /dechlorinator, Prime is the best.

Frequent pwc will be necessary, and not over feeding. My favorite food for Betta is the Hikari Bio-gold.

Good fish keeping to you and your child.

Last edited:
Great advice

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far! I feel so much more at ease and not worried that every little move & sound my son makes is stressing this fish one step closer to death! ?

We are very into our routines, and I think he will get used to "Amigo" and learn how to care for him. I feel much less worried after some of these replies, especially since they're from people who are familiar with non-typically developing children. Thank you!

Partial water change. It's very important to make sure to change out some of the water to remove the wastes that build up.

Thank you. All this new information is so helpful and very much appreciated!

I am very much behind the use of fish keeping as a hobby for children, with appropriate adult supervision. The watching and caring for a pet is especially good for children who have trouble relating to people or their surroundings. A fish is such a good visual pet without the problems of looking after something small and furry - that might even bite! Learning to care and feel responsible for their pet also helps greatly with the child's development.
There have been quite a few posts lately from parents of non-typically developing children and I feel honoured that they turn to the forum 'experts' for ideas and advice.
As an adult my fish keep me calm so as a child it must be even more so. Good luck Yolanda to you and your child.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you so much

I am very much behind the use of fish keeping as a hobby for children, with appropriate adult supervision. The watching and caring for a pet is especially good for children who have trouble relating to people or their surroundings. A fish is such a good visual pet without the problems of looking after something small and furry - that might even bite! Learning to care and feel responsible for their pet also helps greatly with the child's development.
There have been quite a few posts lately from parents of non-typically developing children and I feel honoured that they turn to the forum 'experts' for ideas and advice.
As an adult my fish keep me calm so as a child it must be even more so. Good luck Yolanda to you and your child.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Everything you've said were my reasons for thinking a fish might be a great first pet for my son. We are definitely going through a trying initial phase as I try to teach him what he can and cannot do with his new pet! The advice I've gotten here has been invaluable. I feel more confident and less worried about what may happen to Amigo. I also feel more relaxed knowing I can just come here and people will help me if I have an issue. I think my son is picking up on my newfound sense of calm, too, which is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom