Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to SeymourFRESH
is my driftwood rotting?

i just put a really dense piece of wood in my tank, it came from my friends snake cage, and i have no idea what the history of it was prior to that

i did not boil it, but i have let it soak in the a bucket of the hottest of hot water for over a week before putting it in (i changed out the hot water and added more hot water about 5 or 6 times). do you think that's alright for sterilization? if not, it's already too late because i've had it in the tank for 3 days now

but now i've noticed it's a lighter color in certain parts of it, almost pale.
could it be rotting? it's a really cool piece but i'm still kind of weary about it. let me know, guys, there's a pic of it at the bottom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wood_423.jpg (231.7 KB, 252 views)

Old 04-28-2006, 08:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to nitrous Send a message via MSN to nitrous
ive noticed that my driftwood has turned black in some spots only on some lines and i dont care because it looks cooler like that

Old 04-28-2006, 08:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a piece of dw that I don't think will last too much longer. Its very soft and I can easily scrape a chunk out with my fingernail. Is yours very soft?
Old 04-28-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
whats happening with the driftwood when it becomes soft is not actually rott, its where all the pores have finally became saturated with water and lost there ability to remian rigid, the pale spots are most likely faded spots from drying out, sun light or where the wood has lost its coloring from water or old age, sao its nothing to worry about, the black lines in the driftwood are prolly where its became waterlogged and has more of a defintion, if its a slick slimy feeling then its possible its osme kind of algea, but I doubt your driftwood is rotting right now

Tags
drift, driftwood, rotting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com