Is my future plan of my 55 gallon over-stocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DinoManDraves

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon aquarium, with a Emperor 400 Power Filter. Right now, I'll I have is 2 Firemouth cichlids, 2 Honduran Red Point cichlids, and a bristlenose pleco.

The female firemouth is very peaceful, and the HDRs are very peaceful as well. The male firemouth is aggressive, but not the extreme.

Here is my dream stocking-
Cichlid-
1. 2 Firemouths
2. 2 HDRs
3. 1 T-bar cichlid

Catfish-
1. 3 Synodontis petricola
2. 1 Bristlenose pleco
3. 1 Clown Pleco

Dither fish-
1. 6 Giant Danios
2. 6 Australian Rainbowfish

But, I tested it on this site right here-

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

And it seems that this is impossible, and very over-stocked. I am willing to add a filter if need be. Is this site right? Should I eliminate several fish from the plan? Thanks for your help. I am confused about all this. Don't worry, I only have 5 fish in there right now. I haven't made any mistakes.... yet Thanks again.

That site is hit and miss, but in this case I believe it is right. The footprint of the tank can limit the stocking options even more so than total water volume and filtration for some fish. Personally, I'd suggest HDRs OR Firemouths and possibly one petricola. But, that's just opinion without formulas behind it. ;)

I slimmed it down a bit... Would this be ok-
Cichlid-
1. 2 Firemouths
2. 2 HDRs

Catfish-
1. 2 Synodontis petricola
2. 1 Bristlenose pleco

Dither fish-
1. 6 Giant Danios
2. 4 Rainbowfish

The cichlids seem peaceful enough for larger shoaling fish like the rainbows and danios. Filtration-wise, would I be over-doing it as well? Thanks again.

I think it will work if you stock it gradually and allow your bio to keep caught up.

Keep in mind that Australian rainbow tetras can reach 8". I had six in my old 55g and I had to find them a new home because my severums starting chasing them when they got larger. Could pose a problem with your cichlids down the road.

Back
Top Bottom