Is my galaxy pleco carrying eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duyentong107

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm been having a galaxy pleco for almost 2 years. She was fine the last 7 days, but just yesterday I noticed that her stomach is getting bigger and bigger, like if it's ready to be exploded! But the problem is that I only have 2 plecos in my tank, she and a marbled sailfin pleco. That's why I don't think she having eggs because it seems impossible for them to breed! So I would like to know whether if she's having eggs, and what should I do now. Please give me some advices, Thanks :)

I don't know really anything about plecos but that does not look normal too me. Hopefully someone else can help you more.

Looks like an infection and intestinal blockage. Is he eating? More importantly is he pooping? This sounds weird but is his anus swollen? If not then it could very well be pregnant. You could try the epsom salt bath for a natural laxative for him if he isnt pooping. Thats definitely not normal and that red spot is quite concerning. Id quarantine asap.

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

She's just like the other fish. Moving around, eating very well, and poop, too.

Im not sure how long plecos will carry eggs but id imagine if you put some sort of narrow cave with one entrance and lots of cover that pleco should lay her eggs in there and you could remove it. Thats IF she is carrying. That red spot still looks like some sort of infection. Put a cave in there ( long pill bottle, tilted pot with a cut entrance ect.) and if you see more discoloration or bloating quarantine. Thats what id do

I'm so worry because I really don't know whether of she's having infection or the eggs. I just put a cave in as you said, thanks for the suggestion :) But don't plecos lay their eggs on the rock's surface? Or it has to be in a cave?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 131
Ive never bred plecs but i recall videos of them breeding in caves and their wigglers staying there until they are free swimmers

Worrying about fish sucks :(
Sorry this is happening. Looks painful

They breed in caves and if she has not located and taken up residence in the cave you have a blockage. Epsin Salt time and cut off the food-Move her

Plecos breed in caves but it is the dad who goes in the cave and claims it Then she comes in the cave with him and they lay and fertilize the eggs. Mom leaves her work is done and Dad is the one who guards the eggs, fans them, and stays with them till they hatch and for a few days while they absorb the egg sack. He takes care of his babies and will not eat or hurt his babies. Alison

But I don't understand it? Can a female pleco still having eggs even if there's no male in the tank? I've a marbled salfin pleco, which is a different type from her.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 129
Yes very possible. They arent live bearers so the female can lay eggs without the presence of a male in which there will be no male to fertilize and tend to the eggs. They will rot

I believe there are some species that can make hybrids but im not sure if sailfin/galaxy is viable.

And if they are the fish police will tell you to keep them to yourself.

She very well may be swollen with eggs, but that red area on her side is concerning... How long has she had that? Did it show up with her bloating, before, or after? How quickly did she swell up? You may want to QT her and her cave with some epsom salt just to be safe. If she is filled with eggs, she needs to get them out ASAP, and QTing her will give you easier access to remove the eggs. If she is not, then she may have something contagious and your other fish are at risk.

Thanks for advice. I just found that out 5 days ago, a week before that she was just normal, or my be I didn't notice. And yes, it showed up with her bloating. So you think I should put epsom salt into the whole tank? I don't know if I should wait for her to lay the eggs naturally or do something.
By the way, ASAP and QT?

Thanks for advice. I just found that out 5 days ago, a week before that she was just normal, or my be I didn't notice. And yes, it showed up with her bloating. So you think I should put epsom salt into the whole tank? I don't know if I should wait for her to lay the eggs naturally or do something.
By the way, ASAP and QT?

I wouldn't put salt in thw whole tank. Plecos are sensitive to salt. I would remove her and put her in a QT (quarantine tank, remove her from the community tank) along with her cave in case she is pregnant and to give her a safe place to hide. Use epsom salt or aquarium salt, but use half a dose. For example, if using aquarium salt the directions say to use 1 teaspoon per ten gallons; instead, use half a teaspoon per ten gallons. Do you have an extra tank setup for quarantine? If not, I would suggest doing so. A 10 gallon is typically used and will still need most of the typical tank equipment. This tank does not need to be cycled to put fish in it, but you will need to monitor the water with testing and do daily water changes to it. If she is pregnant and you move her to a QT, once she has laid the eggs, move her back into the community tank and discard the eggs. Having her lay these eggs in a QT makes it easier to remove them and gives her the privacy she may need to feel comfy enough to lay them.

It's still possible that she is not pregnant and has some sort of serious infection. If this is the case, moving her into QT helps save any other fish in your community tank for also getting it. Plus, you can medicate the sick fish easier and without stressing any other fish with unnecessary medications.

ASAP means As soon as possible.

Good luck and I hope your gorgeous pleco is okay.

Yes I already put her in a quarantine tank since I found her. But why do I need to get rid of the eggs? Is it because the salt will cause the eggs to decompose? I'll go to Pets art and buy it today. Thanks ��

Back
Top Bottom